Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer locked up, now no POST

• Please log in to reply

johonn

johonn

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
My old custom built computer has been locking up ever since I put a "new" motherboard in it. It will just randomly completely freeze with no warning, i.e. it runs perfectly until the freeze occurs. This freeze is accompanied by static playing through the sound system if the speakers are on, and Nothing moves, not even the cursor. The only way to get it working again is to shut it off via the power button, and leave it off for a few minutes.
I recently left for a week, and left the computer on, and when i got back, it had frozen, so I turned it off and came back later to try turning it on. All it has done since then, however, is switch on, power up the fans (and i believe spin up the hdd's) and sit there blinking the dvd drive's light on and off, with the two case lights solid on. Nothing comes up on the screen, and I'm pretty sure there are no beeps. I can double check that.
I can get more info on the components of the computer if you need; I'm not right near it right now.

Thanks!

Advertisements

bloto21

bloto21

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
power supply ?? did you install a fresh OS after replacing mobo??

johonn

johonn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Yes, I believe I did, though it's been a while. the power supply seems to be fine, as things spin up.
Now that I've paid more attention to it, I think what is happening is the POST is freezing during the optical drive check, because, as I mentioned earlier, the drive light blinks in a pattern, and also there is a slight, rhythmic clicking that can be heard coming from the drive.

bloto21

bloto21

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
when can you hear clicking the problem is with hdd (you can throw away this hdd) you need to buy another one. simply disconnect optical drive and run. Or even you can change cable from optical drive and see that run proply

johonn

johonn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Sorry, I meant the DVD drive is clicking, and it's more like the sounds it makes when it's searching for a disk. There is no clicking coming from any of the hard drives. I did try disconnecting the power cable from the DVD drive to see if it would pass it then, but it still hangs. I might try disconnecting the data cable from it instead, and see if that works.

johonn

johonn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
No good. Not sure what is causing the hang, but it hangs whether the dvd drive is connected or not. Any ideas?