Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DX9.0C help

• Please log in to reply

ClamChowder

ClamChowder

• Pip
  • 5 posts
After fixing the dreaded "display driver has failed and recovered" issue, another issue popped up.
Because of the display driver failing issue, I must have reformatted more than 50 times within 2 months; i installed games and apps countless times and had an opportunity to test out fps issues and etc.

As an example... When I first started playing Left 4 Dead (from day 1), everything was smooth running @ 60FPS on very high settings and dropping no lower than 45FPS when things get [bleep] busy (1280x1024). AA x4 MFSA x4 Vsync on.

After about 6 months, my brand new PC started to become a laggy Removed circumvent of language filter. Sure everything hits at 60 FPS... it then suddenly drops and dips into 30 FPS within matter of half a second... but no lower than 30. It happens when i turn on my flashlight and look at an area with long distance view -or- when there are million things going on my screen while the shader is trying to color each one out brighter/darker than the other.

I then reformatted AGAIN... and things were back to 'normal'

but then that problem started happening AGAIN...

Considering the fact that I reformatted alot of times... I learned that it happens everytime when some stupid programs decide to "update" ("destroy" would be the right word) my DX9. That clustered something up in the DX9 area which alot of my games use...

Things I've done in attempt to fix this but ended up with no results:
1) Updated all drivers to the newest
2) Updated vista
3) Changed resolution and detail settings to the lowest possible -- so low that it makes Bill look like Ryan Byler.
4) OC'd and Restored factory clock after seeing no results.
5) Reinstalled drivers and tried different drivers even going to the extent of installing ones way back from 90.xx via all beta drivers. Now, im back to the newest 182 driver.
6) Handchecked each hard drive
7) Asked my Asian friends
8) Went to 4chan's Robot9000 and Tech forums
9) Asked in different forums and got trolled & rick rolled
10) Defragmented my HDD & checked for errors
11) Turned Vsync Off
12) Threw my mouse at the wall
13) Ran Memtest with no errors
14) Checked power supply both through BIOS and the 6 pin physically.

Now I guess it really comes down to one thing...
I heard there's a way to do this but
How do I reinstall the DX9.0C so I dont have to end up reformatting again?

thanks in advance

Specs:
q6600 @ 2.4ghz stock
eVGA 8800GT 512mb stock
600W PSU
SATA 500HDD

Edited by BHowett, 09 March 2009 - 02:45 PM.

Advertisements

ClamChowder

ClamChowder

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
sorry 4 double post...
anyone please help? :)

ClamChowder

ClamChowder

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
hmm I guess ill go ask toms hardware. The real professionals.