Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Drive in RAID 0 Volume is failing.....

• Please log in to reply

jbasagoi

jbasagoi

• Pip
  • 4 posts
New PC
ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 Intel X58
Intel Core i7 Nehalem 2.66 Ghz
Corsair Dominator 12 GB DDR3 1600
Cooler Master HAF 932
Corsair 750TX 750W
2 Western Digital Caviar 640GB SATA Raid 0
Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 1GB
ASUS Triton 81 CPU Cooler
2 Dell 1707FP
2 months old, now my RAID 0 is failing, during POST there is an error in one of the disks in the RAID scrren also I am getting a lot of errors in VISTA 64 Ultimate, like: GrooveMonitor.exe unable to locate component, am I loosing one of the new disks already or is some kind of software failure between vista and the Intel Matrix Controler?
Please help me, this is too soon for all this investment!
jb

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A drive failure in a RAID 0 configuration is effectively a meltdown as this configuration offers no security whatsoever. One drive dies, the entire array is effectively dead and the data is lost.

Your first and foremost task MUST be to back up the data, either through software in Windows or via software such as Norton Ghost or likewise (for outside of Windows cloning), and do this now before it's too late. Then the drive in question will be under warranty so you can send it back for replacement. Then if you've cloned the entire installation with Norton Ghost, set up your RAID again, ghost it back and job's a good'un.

jbasagoi

jbasagoi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanks, i am waiting for the replacement and of course i did not backup or have ghost, next time ......; how reliable is raid 0, i mena these new caviar "black" HD (less than a month old)

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

how reliable is raid 0

As Neil Jones said:

One drive dies, the entire array is effectively dead and the data is lost.

Raid 0, (From the OS's point of view) extends two drives into One long Logical drive.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Raid (0+1) is raid 0, with mirroring.
Takes:
2- 500GB drives (looks like a 1TB drive)
2- 500GB drive that will mirror the above 2 drives

If either of the Raid 0 drives fail, the second set will take over. (The mirrors)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Raid 5
Takes 3 500GB drives

Data is being written to all three, in a round robin fashion. along with a parity bit.
If one drive fails, the system keeps going.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between raid 0+1 and raid 5, the amount of discs required and speed.
Raid 5 is a little slower, because it has to write the parity.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you really want stability and the ability to change the dead drive on the fly.
Raid 5, with hot swap.
Requires:
Hot swap drive cabinet
Hot Swappable Drives.
Requires 3 drives, same as Normal raid 5, plus one for the hot swap.
If a drive fails, system keeps going, and rebuilds the data using the parity information to the hot swap.
Once the hot swap has been rebuilt the dead drive can be removed and replaced,then reconfigured as the new hot swap.

Your MotherBoard supports any of these configurations.

Edited by isimaster, 10 March 2009 - 10:09 PM.

Quackers88

Quackers88

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
If you have Vista Ultimate you have the ability to back up your system now. Start > All Programs > maintenance > Backup and restore > Create an image (on left side of window)

Edited by Quackers88, 11 March 2009 - 12:06 AM.

PedroDaGR8

PedroDaGR8

• PipPipPip
  • 786 posts
RAID 0 is NOT RELIABLE AT ALL. Due to the mathematics of failure, you basically quadruple your chance of failure for a marginal at best increase in speed. Synthetic benchmarks show huge increases but real world sees 1-2 seconds or less increase in boot speed and loading of games (most are 1/2 a second or less).

Raid 0 is the worst thing to do because when any drive in the array fails, all data on ALL drives is lost. That's just the way it is. Unless you are running a super large database with multiple drives (not just two) in RAID 0 then it just plain isn't worth it.

jbasagoi

jbasagoi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
well because i have only two drives and really do not need raid 0 i'll just use them as sata and forget about the raid, tahks for the advice
jb