Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Having Troubles with Drive SNAPSHOT!

• Please log in to reply

brady1988

brady1988

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Hello Guys, here again with a little problem.
I tried to backup my whole system disks C: and D: but everytime a try to do it it shows me an error here some images+explanations

Program Used: Drive SnapShot

Posted Image
Here on this picture shows how many disks i have right, so now when i select my disks C: & D: it will not let me back up them
the reason why goes here on the second image:
Posted Image
Here is where i select where to save my backup which i selected my disk F: its an external hard drive 1TB
then i wrote my password to store it with my backup so i press START COPY and here shows the thirs problem :
Posted Image

Now as u can see there's been going some kinda problem in fact everytime i try to START COPY it shows me that filename error
i can't do more i just tired trying to backup my system with this Tool so i will appreciate is some of u guys download this Tool and try to do it so if u can do the backup without having troubles then my system might need some fix but i will really appreciate if u can explain me how to do a good backup of my system using this Tool if what i just did is wrong of course.

Thank u! Have a wonderful day. :)

Edited by brady1988, 09 March 2009 - 06:22 PM.

Advertisements

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
does anyone can help me please? :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
your "c" drive and "d" drive seem to be on the same DISK...but different partitions....did you not read the error message? change the backup destination file name to "$disk" (without quotes) and it will run the backup...then you'll get a file named "C.SNA" and one named "D.SNA"...OR back up both partitions separately instead of at the same time

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
is ti a good idea to backup each disk by seperated?
what about when i want to restore my system will it work normally without troubles?
but im gonna try what u said man i appreciate it, thx ill tell u later how was it.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
if it backs up correctly with the file name change...then it's kind of irellevant to back up seperately....as it's basically going to do that...run two backup jobs...one for each partition

as for the restore...it shouldn't make a difference since it's creating two individual files....if you want to restore D you restore from the D file....same with C

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
alright i tried what u just told me to but it didnt work i dont get it what do u mean with this :

change the backup destination file name to "$disk" (without quotes) and it will run the backup

i mean i dont know where is that so i can change the name now do u mean here :
Posted Image

can u tell me how to do it guide me with that image so i can understand u better pls otherwise explain me with more details cuz i havent done a backup before so please. now what i would like to do is backup both of my disks C and D in one image(backup) right so thats what i need to do but if this is not possible then tell me the other way to do it by separate thank u! :)

and one more thing what is that thing called networkbootdiskette here the image:

Posted Image

Edited by brady1988, 10 March 2009 - 01:28 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
....where you're putting the file name (the f:\computer stuff\my backup) put $disk instead of networkbootdiskette

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
so u want me to write $disk in there right ?
and then i press save ? now if that is correct can i do the same thing but saving it in a different disk lets say in my external hard drive im pretty sure it will work right ?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
you should be able to save it anywhere other than the disk that you're copying

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
like i said everytime i do that shows me that error can u explain me better about what i asked u please u didnt answer my last post. thank u!

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
HEY NO! i got it i know how it works man thank u!
but now i have a extra question for ya what would u recommend me make a backup of my system with my shadow user activated or u want to deactivate it ? what would be better? :) shadow user is like deep freezer .

Edited by brady1988, 10 March 2009 - 04:22 PM.