Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Build Computer Problem

• Please log in to reply

Cerawind

Cerawind

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello everybody. This is the 2nd time I've built a computer. The first time was for my own personal computer and I used some more expensive parts that were also beginner-friendly. This second time I had to deal with a lower budget and it is for a friend.

I just finished installing the computer and have connected the monitor, a keyboard, and a mouse. When the system powers on, the power light lights up and the DVD/CD drive light lights up. However, there's a weird clicking noise coming from the DVD drive. When I try inserting the ASUS CD that came with my motherboard, the DVD drive simply won't open. Thinking it's just probably stuck, I used the manual eject button to eject the drive and insert the CD. With the CD inside, it still makes that clicking noise and the computer still just has a blank black screen. I've tried restarting the computer and still it has the same effect.

I think that the problem is just the fact that the CD isn't being read, and that's why the BIOS will not load up. Is this maybe a problem I might have caused in installing the optical drive, or do you think I might have bought a defective drive?

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Need system specs.

You don't mention if the machine posts or if you can get into bios. Are you getting any bios beeps?

Remove/disconnect everything except the ram, vid card, processor, keyboard, mouse, and monitor... see if you can get to into bios. Since you mention ASUS, and if you can get into bios, check the Hardware monitor screen and make sure the voltages read what they should. It might just be you have a bad DVD drive, or a bad IDE/Sata cable (you don't mention what kind of drive this is).

Cerawind

Cerawind

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No, I am not getting any bios beeps. I will do according to the directions on the stickied post and will update with what happens after that when I am done.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
No bios beeps points to a no post, so there's something seriously wrong going on and it's probably not the DVD drive, (unless its loading something down), as it's not required for post. Yah, follow the guide and see where it leads.

Good luck! :)