Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to run chkdsk on NTFS drive when I cannot boot Windows

• Please log in to reply

j123jam

j123jam

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
You might think this sounds like an easy problem to fix, but think again. Here's the deal:

My HDD is corrupted. I generally use Vista, although the only thing I can boot into now is Ubuntu LiveCD, and even that takes a long time because it spends a while spewing errors about the HDD before it finishes booting.

In Linux, gparted can see the partitions on the drive, but says there are errors with the partitions and that I should run chkdsk. Specifically there are "cluster accounting" problems. If I try to mount the drive it fails too, telling me Windows has the NTFS partition marked as in-use. I'm reluctant to force a mount, because if it doesn't work it could further damage the drive. I tried running ntfsfix too. It claims to have run successfully, but it doesn't actually help.

Beyond Linux I got my hands on an XP install disk (SP3), and tried to boot that and run chkdsk, but it doesn't recognize my HDD. That may be because the drive is too large (250GB), but the tutorials for how to work around that are way too confusing and require a working Windows machine. I have my Vista boot disks, but they only boot to a black screen.

So far my only idea is to use an external HDD enclosure to turn my HDD into a USB drive on which I can run chkdsk from another computer, but I don't want to buy an enclosure and take my computer apart if I don't have to. Is there any other way to run chkdsk? I really want to recover the data on this drive. Thanks!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
If you have your Windows XP disk
  • Insert your Windows XP disk into your computer and reboot
  • Make sure the PC is set to run from the CD as the primary boot device.
    NOTE: You do this by setting your PC to boot to the CD-ROM in BIOS (enter bios by pressing f1, f2 or del key during memory count up, then search for boot order, and set the CD as the first boot device)
  • When the PC boots, it will boot from the CD...after the first several screens load, you will be given a choice to choose R for Recovery Console. You will be asked to log in.
    NOTE: For Windows XP Home, there is not password, just hit ENTER. For Windows XP pro, ask whomever set up the machine what password they used.
When you see the Recovery console C:\WINDOWS prompt continue to section 3 (Running "ChkDsk")

If you DO NOT have your Windows XP disk

• Download RC.ISO from Here.
  • Now burn this ISO image to a CD and boot your computer with it.
    NOTE: Keep in mind that this is different than burning a file to a CD-ROM. If you do not know how to burn an ISO image, then download CDBurnerXP Pro to another Windows machine and install it. Then go Here for instructions for burning the ISO image
  • Once the CD is created, place it in the defunct computer
  • Then reboot your broken PC with that CD in the CD-ROM drive.
    NOTE: You do this by setting your PC to boot to the CD-ROM in BIOS (enter bios by pressing f1, f2 or del key during memory count up, then search for boot order, and set the CD as the first boot device)
  • When the PC boots, it will boot from the CD...after the first several screens load, you will be given a choice to choose R for Recovery Console. You will be asked to log in.
    NOTE: For Windows XP Home, there is not password, just hit ENTER. For Windows XP pro, ask whomever set up the machine what password they used.

Running "ChkDsk"
  • At the Recovery console C:\WINDOWS prompt, type

chkdsk /r

• Press ENTER
  • Let this scan run UNINTERUPTED untill completed (30 min or so depending on the drive)
  • Report any errors in your next reply
  • Once the scan is complete, Type exit, and then press ENTER to quit Recovery Console.
  • Your computer will now restart

j123jam

j123jam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
dsenette:

Thanks for your response, but as I noted in my original post the XP disk will not recognize my hard drive, possibly because the drive is too big. It seems that maybe I need to "slipstream" the XP disk so it can recognize larger drives, but that seems complicated. Also, the disk I downloaded claimed to be XP SP3, which should have large drive support.

Please let me know if there is another way. Thanks again!

Granny_Pat

Granny_Pat

• Pip
  • 2 posts

If you have your Windows XP disk

• Insert your Windows XP disk into your computer and reboot
When you see the Recovery console C:\WINDOWS prompt continue to section 3 (Running "ChkDsk")

If you DO NOT have your Windows XP disk

• Download RC.ISO from Here.
  • Now burn this ISO image to a CD and boot your computer with it.
    NOTE: Keep in mind that this is different than burning a file to a CD-ROM. If you do not know how to burn an ISO image, then download CDBurnerXP Pro to another Windows machine and install it. Then go Here for instructions for burning the ISO image
  • Once the CD is created, place it in the defunct computer
  • Then reboot your broken PC with that CD in the CD-ROM drive.

Running "ChkDsk"
  • At the Recovery console C:\WINDOWS prompt, type

chkdsk /r

• Press ENTER
  • Let this scan run UNINTERUPTED untill completed (30 min or so depending on the drive)
  • Report any errors in your next reply
  • Once the scan is complete, Type exit, and then press ENTER to quit Recovery Console.
  • Your computer will now restart

Hi!

I just have to send you a huge "THANK YOU!!!"

After searching sites and dl'ing tons of burner programs, I just couldn't get the concept down; or anything to work. However, I came across your succinct post, which got to the heart of burning iso files and learning to understand just what the [bleep] was going on -- I was able to finally make a bootdisk! You have saved me from fretting about "old-timers disease!!!" (LOL)
Thanks again,
Pat

Granny_Pat

Granny_Pat

• Pip
  • 2 posts

dsenette:

Thanks for your response, but as I noted in my original post the XP disk will not recognize my hard drive, possibly because the drive is too big. It seems that maybe I need to "slipstream" the XP disk so it can recognize larger drives, but that seems complicated. Also, the disk I downloaded claimed to be XP SP3, which should have large drive support.

Please let me know if there is another way. Thanks again!

The same thing happened to me when I first started out way back when; however, it wasn't that the os disk could not recognize my harddrives, or if the "large disk" feature wasn't checked off -- it was because I killed the MBR's, and the bios reported "no harddrive" for each. I had to low-level both harddrives, and reinstall the whole cabootle on both computers' harddrives.

Hope this helps.

Pat

Edited by Granny_Pat, 02 May 2011 - 10:07 PM.

normanbutchgrant

normanbutchgrant

• Pip
  • 1 posts
thanks.. recovered a disk using ububtu live and this trick.. much appreciated
normanbutchgrant

John Wesley Simpson

John Wesley Simpson

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've followed these steps all the way to selecting R for recovery. At that point I'm presented with a BSOD with "REGISTRY_ERROR
Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x00000051 (0x00000001,0xE112B008,0x00A0A000,0x000001D5)"

I was really hoping to get the prompt where I could run chkdsk, but it did not get that far.

Any ideas?

Thanx,

John

lilj

lilj

• Pip
  • 1 posts
ok i have the same problem but mine says 'STOP: 0x0000007B' and it says to run CHKDSK/F but i cant log in or get into my BIOS (i had the cooling system fixed by a friend for free and he forgot the password he also had to replace the hard drive due to heat damage) an i was wondering if there was any thing i can do. I dont want to have to buy a new hard drive and would like to be able to get into the BIOS if you could help i would be so gratfull.

alot of people say they wont help me because they think i stole the lap top but i dident i got it used its a ACER ASPIRE 3650

tristus

tristus

• Pip
  • 1 posts
@lilj I dont know if its too late but I had the same problem with BSOD, so at first you need to reset your mainboard, open your pc and kill CMOS, there are also software that makes it I believe, you can google for it...

After you reset your MB incl. your password, you make sure your BIOS is as it should to be (make old choices etc.)
BE SURE TO CHOOSE Complatiblity NOT AHCI at BIOS, and other comp. modes about SATA (different BIOS versions have different names so I dont know what it called by your PC)

after that you can try the chkdsk trick, it didnt work for me :(
I believe it was beyond repair in my case, I wish you and others with the same problem good luck, suggest you will need it :(