Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desperate help replace or upgrade or just use till dead

• Please log in to reply

neargainesville- ignorant

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi I am almost totally ignorant of computers and very much appreciate a site like this to help real people. I have an E machines T3256 AMD Athalon xp 3200 448mb ram. Replaced the HD already now running 160GB 8mb cache 7200rpm. I play online poker, nice to have 2 monitors and 2 sites on and still check my mail, open pics, etc. Not much of a gamer but would like to play new GTA game. If that changing factor then delete that part. I know first i should go up to the 2GB max I believe this machine takes, but on ebay about 85$+ , wondered if i should get dual core, no clue if MoBo supports it etc, No budget for new build but saw on ebay big ram big HD stripped machine, put my other stuff in it. I am stuck with dial up for a good while so wonder is that limiting enough where i should just use this machine like it is and upgrade down the road when I have the money or if memory is enough to help and keep it a few years. If you need more info to help me, I will gather what you tell me from where you tell me. Thanks in advance. i understand if i need to much help and need a book first just to converse about this. I can and have replaced everything into a new case, installed new HD DVD drive etc, so not a total idiot but... thanks, Grateful AL

Advertisements

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Hello Al,

The limiting factor is going to be your dialup.
As a test you may want to take your system to a friends house and connect it to DSL or Cable.
Just to see your systems performance with a quicker connection.

The best bang for your buck is going to be with memory. Your System will handle 2GB. You can find the specs for your system below. I wouldn't even consider upgrading your CPU.
:http://www.emachines.com/support/product_support.html?cat=Desktops&subcat=T-Series&model=T3256

You mentioned memory for $85 on Ebay, that sounds steep!
Can you give me the link of the page you are looking at on Ebay.
Also the link for the

saw on ebay big ram big HD stripped machine

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/...T...93:1|294:50 is for the memory i found, any suggestion of where I should go would be appreciated , and ex friend charged me for 2 1GB sticks from ebay for little less but came was incorrect apparently, and lost alot and the friend later, lol, sorry.. the next 2 links are for computers i thought I may try to do.http://cgi.ebay.com/FEATURED-SALE-NEW-COMPLETE-QUAD-CORE-PC-W-4GB-RAM_W0QQitemZ250321277801QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDesktop_PCs?hash=item250321277801&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1309|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50, this is another http://cgi.ebay.com/...0...93:1|294:50 finally last one http://cgi.ebay.com/...C...93:1|294:50

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have had it at a friends with dsl to load updates when I had to reload operating system once and the difference is staggering. It runs 1/2 way decent now with new hard drive but figured memory will give me room and some speed anyway, mentioned ex friend, says wouldnt be factor but steered me wrong several times, also took my discs etc with back up etc. I have a 40gb IBM portable harddrive i am hopeing i can download everything off my t21 thinkpad also, no idea where to start, figure have to load like this to take to PC to burn backup discs, and then do same for PC, as PC will not seem to restore correctly, wont make new save points and wont let me burn backup discs now, ex friend had it during fallout. thinkpad is running good for what it is but need discs, I know off topic for here but your an angel sent to reply so soon and so helpfully so i figured i should run this by you. I promise to get some education and not clog this site up with every little thing Thanks so very much AL

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
You have to be really careful when purchasing memory.
The Ebay link you gave me bothers me.
Here's why.
They have a nice list of all of the systems it will work in. Looks good so far.
They show a picture of the memory.
If you look closely, you'll see, it is PC5300 DDR2 by a company called Apacer. DDR2 memory has 240 pins, DDR has 184 pins. Won't work. OK, so maybe they just grabbed a couple of sticks for the picture. Some people call me crazy, but, I tend to like to see a picture of the product I'm buying. Why, because now I'm not sure what is going to arrive in the mail.

This page: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820141214
Newegg is a well known and respected company. Their biggest competitor is tigerdirect.com.
I always check both of these companies. When choosing memory, I use their memory configurator,
(asks for info based on make and model). Tigerdirect didn't have memory for your system.

Edited by isimaster, 10 March 2009 - 02:21 PM.

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Here are the comparisons for the Ebay Systems.
Which one would you pick?

ebay_comps.JPG

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you, you have been most kind to bother. I will get the memory for now as I see these bare bones ones add up quick. I understand what you are saying as to the ebay link pic for RAM, with buyer paying return shipping on mistakes, i'd like to know i am getting right item the first time. I can plug the memory into the slot OK, anything I need to do as far as programs or anything or will computer know what to do?, lol. Thanks again AJ

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
It's no bother, geeks love this kind of stuff.

I can plug the memory into the slot OK, anything I need to do as far as programs or anything or will computer know what to do?

It depends on the bios. In most cases, you'll see a message that memory has been changed,and it will bring up
the Bios screen. All you have to do is press F10 (save and exit). It will come up with a confirmation window.
Confirm this is what you want to do. The system will reboot and your all set.

Note: depending on the Bios, you may have to change the confirmation entry from N, to Y or No to Yes.