Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restore

• Please log in to reply

russgam

russgam

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My OS is Windows XP Professional SP3. When I try to "restore" to an earlier date, nothing happens. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I am have problems with svshost.exe - application error(s).

Advertisements

pcfixerbob

pcfixerbob

• Pip
  • 2 posts
The problem you are experiencing is a common problem with the Windows System Restore feature.

The problem lies in that one or more of these restore points that Windows has made has become damaged/corrupted.

Since there is a damaged/corrupted restore point in the System Restore program, the program ceases to function.

There is no known workaround/cure for this problem other than to turn off System Restore, reboot, and turn System Restore back on.

This clears ALL the restore points from System Restore and will make System Restore make new restore points.

The bad part about this is that ALL the restore points inside System Restore get purged from the system, making restoring the system back to date and time impossible until you do as suggested above.

Here is how to turn off System Restore and turn it back on again:

http://download.nai....eSysRestore.htm

If the above does NOT fix the problem, please see the following URL for more information:

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=302796

http://bertk.mvps.or.../reinstall.html

http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html

Here is another tip for WinXP System Restore:

The following script can be used to clear the System Restore points quickly. It automatically disables System Restore, clears all the Restore points and then re-enables System Restore on all drives.

Copy the following script to a notepad and save the file as "ResetSR.VBS":

strComputer = "."
Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:\\" & strComputer & "\root\default")
Set objItem = objWMIService.Get("SystemRestore")
errResults = objItem.Disable("")
errResults = objItem.Enable("")

The above is an equivalent of selecting Turn Off System Restore on all drives (which clears all the Restore points) and the last line in the script re-enables the System Restore points.

If none of the above works, follow the directions below:

How do I reinstall System Restore?

Warning: This will delete ALL existing restore points.

Go to Start - Run and type %Windir%\INF then press enter.

In Windows Explorer go to Tools - Folder Options - View Tab and uncheck “Hide extensions for known file types”.

Find the sr.inf file, right click on it and select Install.

If the Files Needed dialog box appears, click Browse and point to the i386 folder on the Windows XP CD or to the i386 folder on the hard drive, if it exists, of for systems updated with the Service Pack 2 CD or Download from Microsoft, browse to the C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386 folder.

Edited by pcfixerbob, 10 March 2009 - 03:20 AM.

barbie

barbie

• Pip
  • 2 posts

My OS is Windows XP Professional SP3. When I try to "restore" to an earlier date, nothing happens. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I am have problems with svshost.exe - application error(s).

russgam

russgam

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for the input, but I have already solved the problem. I did just what you suggested.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi pcfixerbob ...welcome to Geeks To Go... :)
your right on...those restore points are linked so if one is bad they are all bad...and the way to fix it is to turn off restore and then turn it back on....then manually create a fresh new one...then throw a new folder on your desktop...doesn't need anything in it and then test restore to make sure it works...

russgamgo to the control panel...administrative tools...event viewer...double click on system and applications...what errors and warnings to you see there...give us a few of the most recent in each category...

pcfixerbob

pcfixerbob

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:)