Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wireless Connection

• Please log in to reply

jojude

jojude

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi!
I used to swap internet profiles with Toshiba Con-fig between home and work until my laptop was wiped and reformatted last week. The IT person reinstalled all my files and I can access the internet at work. Every time I try to connect to the home wireless network which has a password a balloon comes up saying "Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you on to the network tinernet" (the name of our system). Last night I rang the ISP help desk and did all the clicks to try and fix the problem , including hard wiring the laptop to the wireless router, entering the settings for home in the tcp panel, and it still didn't work!! When I have 'view available networks open, the home one has a question mark on it.

Something is wrong...I should get asked for a password when I click connect in the window where my wirelss is obviously available and then just connect and capture my profile so the switching between profiles can happen. So, I can connect, that happens, but then access is denied because of this certificate thing.

HELP!!!! It's driving me insane

Jo

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey Jo -- welcome to G2G :)

a balloon comes up saying "Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you on to the network tinernet" (the name of our system).

That error message can pop up if you're running IEEE 802.1x authentication, but are not actually in a 802.1x (EAP) environment.

Step 1 - Disable IEEE 802.1X Authentication:
Please follow the steps listed in this MS Article - Wireless Connection Is Periodically Lost (ignore the article title; I know that's not your issue :)) -- please follow the instructions from Part 1: Disable IEEE 802.1X Authentication. Do you still receive the little balloon message?

As a note, you may wish to save those instructions, on the off-chance that your work environment requires IEEE 802.1X authentication (so you can switch it back on).

.I should get asked for a password when I click connect in the window where my wirelss is obviously available and then just connect and capture my profile so the switching between profiles can happen

Have you ever been asked to enter the password, since you had the machine reformatted? What type of encryption are you using on your home network (WEP, WPA, WPA2-Personal, etc.)?

- Dan