Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

reformatting windows xp, drivers not loading

• Please log in to reply

awilkes8

awilkes8

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently ran into the wonderful rootkit.tdss on my other computer, a Gateway 7330gz, and had everything of importance on an external hard drive, so I just decided to reformat it rather than dig through deleting the rootkit files. I went to the Gateway site for the computer (http://support.gatew...es/4997nv.shtml) and transferred all of the drivers files to the computer and started installing them, but am running into problems with the Network Driver files.

I've followed the instructions provided, but it keeps telling me that the drivers aren't found.

Posted Image

Posted Image

If anyone could help out, or at least point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
Hi and welcome to geeks to go.

I just love that error. "Connect to the internet to get the driver that allows the ethernet/internet controller to work".

What type of file is it? Is it .exe or .inf?

Assuming you have the ethernet controller in a folder on the reformatted computer, you would need to point the updater to that folder.
You do not want it to search for it because the updater will want to go to a driver folder.

As instructed in the waring, you need to back up and choose advanced, and then the location where it is found.

awilkes8

awilkes8

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I appreciate the response, but I actually got it knocked out yesterday.

If it will help anyone else in the future, I downloaded some program which I can't find now that looks at your system and tells you which devices are there, so instead of trying to use the drivers that were provided on the Gateway website and were not working, I could find them on the Broadcom website and I was up and running in no time.

bloto21

bloto21

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
for example driver magician will tell you :)