Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need graphics card help!?!?!?!

• Please log in to reply

dancingbear5

dancingbear5

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
ok i have an older system that does not have a graphics card but i want to play call of duty so i bought one it was supposed to tycniclay work but it didnt so i got a new one wich is a nvidia geforce fx pci 128mb i put it in and plug in my monitor when i did it seid "windows is starting up" like it always does but after that when its done nothing happens so i put my monitor in my old card by the way my old ones a integraded card theres the page the other one stop at so basically windows starts up on one card and actually displays everythin in the other?? hopefully you get what im saying plz help :tazz:

Edited by dancingbear5, 08 May 2005 - 02:14 PM.

Advertisements

dancingbear5

dancingbear5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
if ppl dont under stand plz tell me i can try and explain it better :tazz:

CompMaster

CompMaster

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Well here is mostlikley the problem

A) Your on board graphics card is the one being used when your OS boots up, after the welcome screen, so try plugging in the monitor to the onboard after the welcome screen too see if thats it

Or

B) Your computer doesnt have the drivers installed for that graphics card

Or

C) Your computer cannot run on that graphics card

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
you need to disable the onboard video card in BIOS. restart the PC, then enter BIOS by hitting the needed key (usually F1 or F2 or delete), or, it will display press x key to enter BIOS when first booting up.
go to onboard devices, select the onboard video or display (whichever it calls itself), change that to disabled. save and exit using the F10 key. then switch the monitor cable to the new card you have installed, and boot windows normally. the display will start in a default low setting mode. install your graphic card drivers, and your set.

dancingbear5

dancingbear5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
ILL TRY THAT OUT IT SOUNDS GOOD

dancingbear5

dancingbear5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
when i did that it said that onbord vga controller non boot and in another menu that it was already disabled and and the new one is on primary um im clueless hear i just really want to learn more about comp so i really dont wana pay some dude to install it...so ty for helpin me ;) ps i know my spellin sucks but im 14 and have been playin alota mmorpgs lol :tazz:

Edited by dancingbear5, 09 May 2005 - 06:08 AM.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
so is the new card working or not?

dancingbear5

dancingbear5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
no ;) i went to do wat u told me but it was set as i explianded in my last post so i cant do it cuz its set like that already...... :tazz:

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
is the new card an AGP or PCI? may need to set the bios appropriately. if agp, make sure bios is set to use the agp slot, and that agp settings are correct for that card (2x or 4x, voltage correct, etc.)
if PCI, may need to set bios to allow a boot to pci graphics.

dancingbear5

dancingbear5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
ok ill look but i dont think i hav agp and i never seen those settings in the bios. ill report bak l8tr :tazz:....dam u comp of great frustration

Edited by dancingbear5, 11 May 2005 - 05:30 AM.

dancingbear5

dancingbear5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
um srry.. i havent check yet i have been very bussy lately prob tomoro nite ill tell u wat i found in the bios :tazz: bear

dancingbear5

dancingbear5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
yipeeeeeee ;) ok i was in control panel wen i thought maybe i could look in system hard ware manger i did there was a settin to disable onboard card i did so an restarted my comp and todoh it worked :tazz: well thank u for ur help and everything ;) .....now if i can get the f***in game to work...well ty. sencerly ~~bear~~

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
glad to hear its working. try the game forum of this site, I have seen lots of topics about call of duty in there.