Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP SP2 windows installer is not working

• Please log in to reply

kevin777

kevin777

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I am running Windows XP SP2 on my Dell desktop. The software and operating system were installed at Dell when I purchased the computer. I had help from the malware forum in successfully removing a trojan. After this work was completed, a new problem introduced itself.
Now, a 2007 version of Quickbooks I purchased is not loading the Quickbooks application; the hour glass icon persists and when I click on any part of the application, a window appears that presents the options to "Switch To or Retry'. Neither work. So, I thought I would reinstall the QuickBooks 2007 software from the CD. Using the run command, D:\setup.exe presents an error message that says the software cannot be installed because Windows is operating in safe mode or the windows installer is improperly installed. I verified windows is not operating in safe mode. Can you help me get the windows installer working?

thank you,
Kevin

Edited by kevin777, 10 March 2009 - 08:37 AM.

Advertisements

Lenny K

Lenny K

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey

This happens to my PC sometimes and it always seems to be same issue.

Try this
Go to Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.
Scroll down the dropdown list to Windows Installer.

Here's where you have to pay attention.

RIGHT CLICK on it , go to Properties , left click and look at Start up Type box.
If Disabled, change to Manual, click on Apply on bottom and OK.

If it is already Manual or Automatic, you have another problem somewhere else....

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and get Windows Installer 3.1...after installing the installer reboot and then try to reinstall quick books...
nojoy...
go here and get Windows Installer 4.5...
its in the optional updates section

kevin777

kevin777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
thank you to both of you. I did verify the current Windows Installer was set to Manual before installing both 3.1 and 4.5. In the case of installing 3.1, I continue to get the same error as before "software cannot be installed because Windows is operating in safe mode or the windows installer is improperly installed". So I installed the Windows Installer 4.5. Now I get an error message that says "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance. Any thoughts?

thank you.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and get Download Windows Installer CleanUp Utility...
When you are working on your computer and installing a new program, the installation suddenly fails. Now you are left with a partly installed program. You try to install the program again, but you are unsuccessful. Or, maybe you have problems trying to remove an old program because the installation files are corrupted.

Do not worry. Windows Installer CleanUp Utility might be able to help. You can use the utility to remove installation information for programs that were installed by using Windows Installer. Be aware that Windows Installer CleanUp Utility will not remove the actual program from your computer. However, it will remove the installation files so that you can start the installation, upgrade, or uninstall over.

Edited by happyrock, 11 March 2009 - 07:53 AM.

kevin777

kevin777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi,

I downloaded the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. When I run it, I get the same message:
"The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance"

I did notice that it says this cannot be used to cleanup the Windows Installer.
I tried running this from both the desktop and a folder on my C:\ drive

Any thoughts?

thank you

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Unregister and re-register the Windows Installer
NOTE THE SINGLE SPACE BEFORE THE /
1. Click Start... click Run... type in MSIEXEC /UNREGISTER...click OK....
Even if you do this correctly... it may look like nothing occurs.

2. Click Start... click Run... type MSIEXEC /REGSERVER... click OK.
Even if you do this correctly... it may look like nothing occurs... or you may briefly see an hourglass....
After you run this command... the operation is complete.
3. Try Windows Installer Cleanup Utility application again....

Edited by happyrock, 13 March 2009 - 08:23 AM.

kevin777

kevin777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi,

Your last suggestion fixed it. I followed the steps you provided and was able to remove the QuickBooks application and reinstall it. thank you.

Edited by kevin777, 13 March 2009 - 08:19 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome...and thanks for letting us know... :)