Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Another Norton Uninstalling Question

• Please log in to reply

scvsop

scvsop

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Ugh! I am having a similar difficulty uninstalling Norton Anti-virus 2006.

My situation is that I'm trying to install Trend Micro and am trying to remove Norton. I began by removing any program that was from symantec or Norton, but it flickered when I tried to remove Norton 2006.

I saw stuff on this forum about the Norton Removal tool and I went that route. But it didn't do the job either. I was left with this message.

Norton Removal Tool 2009.0.5.26

Manual Application Removal
The following programs were found on this computer. These must be removed through "Add/Remove Programs" before Norton Removal Tool can proceed.

Symantec ACT!2000
Symantec WinFaxPro

When I get into Add/Remove Programs, Those two items are not listed.

Am I missing something?

Advertisements

mintchip

mintchip

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

My situation is that I'm trying to install Trend Micro and am trying to remove Norton. I began by removing any program that was from symantec or Norton, but it flickered when I tried to remove Norton 2006.

Hi scvsop. When you say you tried to remove it, what method did you use? What do you mean when you say that you began by removing any program that was from Symantec? Did you delete files or did you uninstall it by going to the control panel programs, uninstall/remove window? And what do you mean when you say it "flickered"? I'm not an expert. I'm just trying to understand what you are describing. I'm going to be removing Norton on a new computer, so I'm interested in any problems that people have with this. I want to make sure I am able to do it without any hitches. I removed it cleanly on my other computer without any problems or leftoevers, by uninstalling, and then using the removal tool, but I'm not expecting it to work that smoothly every time.

Have you tried doing a search on your computer for Symantec ACT!2000 & WinFaxPro?

This thread might help you:
http://www.geekstogo...le-t169828.html

Edited by mintchip, 10 March 2009 - 12:02 PM.

scvsop

scvsop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
When I say "remove" i mean I went to "Add/Remove Programs" and tried to uninstall it.

When I say it "flickered" I mean it opened a window for less than .5 second too short for me to even recognize it and it closed too fast.

I will try to do a search as suggested.

I have successfully removed Norton from other computers too. That's why I'm so stymied.

mintchip

mintchip

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Did Norton Antivirus get removed at all, or do you still see it in Add/Remove programs? If it's still there and you can't uninstall it, which I'm assuming is the case, then there may be missing or corrupted files. Are you sure no files were manually deleted before you tried to uninstall? Try uninstalling again in safe mode. If that doesn't work, you should be able to uninstall with the tool in the above link. Or, here are a couple of other utilities with good reputations:
http://www.revouninstaller.com/
http://www.download....4-10409090.html
There may be other better ways to deal with this too, so hopefully an expert will be along to help you soon. If those other Norton programs are on your system, you should be able to find them. One of the tools should allow you to remove those too. Good luck, and post back to let us know what happens. :)

scvsop

scvsop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Well, I used your link from the 1230 post and downloaded an uninstaller. It didn't help me either.

I ended up getting online with Symantec and I didn their customer service chat and the guy on the other end got on my computer and helped me. He went fast so I can't tell you what he did, but he did restart my computer in safe mode and took care of it that way.

at any rate, prolem solved.

mintchip

mintchip

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Glad you got it solved. It's fortunate you were able to get someone from Symantec to help. I've heard that can be a challenge at times. I hope my uninstall goes smoother than yours. :)

scvsop

scvsop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
It took about 45 minutes to get someone. I was patient. Luckily I could Multi-task.