Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

web pages load slowly

• Please log in to reply

anied52

anied52

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am running windows XP Pro on a Dell Dimension. I have 512 MB RAM. About 4 months ago, I did a clean install. Since that time, this computer has not been connected to the internet. Last week, I had Comcast HSI installed. Immediately, my web page loads were slow. I'm talking 3+ minutes on most sites. Their modem is connected to a wireless router. My computer is hard-wired to the router. I have 3 other computers - 2 laptops and 1 descktop. that are connected wirelessly. Those machines all load web pages quickly. So I know it's not the internet connection. Also, my downloads happen very quickly. It's just web pages that are slow. I updated XP to SP 3 and also updated the NIC's driver. No difference. The descktop that is connecting via wireless also has XP Pro, but is and older, slower processor, with less RAM. I've tried connecting straight into the modem, but it didn't help. I turned off automatic updates, the firewall, phishing, etc., to no avail. I know it has to be something with the way my machine is set up, but I don't know where to turn. Thanks for any help.

Advertisements

anied52

anied52

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I forgot to mention that I get the same results under both I.E. and Opera. I started with I.E. 6 and then upgraded to 7 - same results.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Same Thing in Safe Mode with Networking?

anied52

anied52

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
NO! Everything is much faster in safe mode. What does that tell me, and what do I do next? Thank you very much!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
That means some process/program, is not loading in Safe Mode, but it does in Normal Mode, slowing your computer.
1. Your computer would definitely benefit by adding another 512MB of RAM.
2. Download Autoruns for Windows: http://technet.micro...s/bb963902.aspx
No installation required.
Simply unzip Autoruns.zip file, and double click on autoruns.exe file to run the program.
Go File>Save As, and save AutoRuns.txt file to know location.
Attach the file to your next reply.

anied52

anied52

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, I found my problem. My son had enabled sharing for Media Player. Apparently, if you have a corrupted avi file, it will send Media Player into some kind of infinite loop. It was eating up my CPU time. I got rid of the bad avi file, and everything sped up to normal.

I know I need more memory. I'm trying to convince my banker, aka, my wife, to authorize the funds. Thanks for the help.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
It's nice to see your problem solved :)
As for the RAM, it's dirt cheap.
Just go to www.crucial.com, enter your computer brand, and model, and see for yourself.