Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC starts and stops. Won't even start to boot up.

• Please log in to reply

acwhit

acwhit

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi ya all...I am just wanting to know if my pc if kaput or not.
I have a HP I bought in 2004 running xp, it was in storage for about 1 yr and got it out a year ago. Everything has been wonderful until a couple of days ago.
This is not my main computer and a lot of the time I'll turn it on and let it sit for a couple of hours before I get to work on it. Last time I turned it on, came back a couple hours later and the screen was all shaky and non responsive. I had to hold down the power button to turn it off. I had a project to work on and this is my only pc...so I was fussing with it to get working again. I would get it to boot up and I would start to work on my project and the screen would do the same thing. It did this a few more times and every time the amount of info on the screen got smaller...
Now all it does when I turn the power on is start, I can hear the fan running for about 2 seconds then it turns off. I goes through this process until I unplug it pc.
So really what I want to know is if my pc is fixable or not. I don't want to put a bunch of time and $$ into something I use only for my hobby.

Sorry so long winded I just don't know that much about computers, they really can make me crazy. I'm one of those people that when one of my computers has a problem, a lot of the time I'll just buy a new one.

Thanks a lot!
Alisha

Advertisements