Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Major Lag

• Please log in to reply

CarbonTiger

CarbonTiger

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I am getting major lag on my pc. Every time I try to run a program my cpu usage goesup to at least 80% for that program. I have tried the whole registry thing using RegCure, TuneUp Utilities 2009, Registry Booster 2, and TUT(The Ultimate Troubleshooter). Also I have tried removing spyware and adware with SpyBot, SUPERAnti Spyware Professional, Ad-Aware, and AVG. I even uninstalled AVG to use other anti-virus programs in case AVG was missing something. My stinking cursor lags without any programs running. I am by far not the smartest computer guy around but im not totally unknowledgable either. I have tried everything i can think of, including blowing out my fan and stuff with duster. Temp is not an issue as i use a laptop cooling mat. It doesnt get hot. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I cant play games until i get this fixed. Thanks -- Justin

Oh i meant to say.. it kinda feels like another program is running but none of the antivirus programs pick anything up... i dunno what is going on XD

Edited by CarbonTiger, 10 March 2009 - 07:50 PM.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
It is possible that you may have a Malware issue. Malware advice can only be given by Staff Members and such subjects can only be discussed in the Malware Forums. START HERE...and post a new topic stating your problems HERE (No where else). When you get a clean bill of health from the Malware Staff, if you are still having problems, come back to This topic. Someone will be more than happy to assist you.

And on a side note, we don't recommend registry cleaners. For in the future, they can cause major problems with your system if you don't know what you are doing.

Good Luck!

Edited by Ferrari, 10 March 2009 - 08:01 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
...and...

I have tried the whole registry thing using RegCure, TuneUp Utilities 2009, Registry Booster 2, and TUT(The Ultimate Troubleshooter).

Stay away.

CarbonTiger

CarbonTiger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
do u guys use anything in place of registry cleaners or do u just not mess with the registry at all ?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
No need to mess with registry, unless you're pro.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Well from my research, editing the registry, cleaning the registry, or defragging the registry doesn't help performance enough to take the chance. Apparently, there is a very very and I mean very small increase in performance by doing that, but unless you know what you are doing, you should stay away. If you look at the Dell Inspiron in my signature, I don't have a real fast computer, but by performing the tasks in that article I mentioned, it stays fast enough.

But like I stated in my first post, click on the "Start Here" and the "HERE" links, that's where you need to be first.

Anything to add Broni?

Edit: What makes your machine slow? Sorry, thought I put that already, must have been another topic.

Edited by Ferrari, 10 March 2009 - 10:00 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Nah...all said...

CarbonTiger

CarbonTiger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
yeah i posted there, thank you. i was just wondering about the registry thing since noone here uses registry cleaners. and i also have an inspiron (B130) .

ive had the pc for like 3 or 4 years and i take good care of it. this is the first probem ive had that i cant fix myself. im not a pro but i like to think im pretty good with computers. im baffled. :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I think, Ferrari was clear enough:

editing the registry, cleaning the registry, or defragging the registry doesn't help performance enough to take the chance

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Glad to hear you posted there. Good luck, you're in good hands. :)

CarbonTiger

CarbonTiger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
yeah and i really appreciate people like u guys. its good to have somewhere to go if you need help that wont charge you 100 bucks just to look at your pc. much appreciated !!!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Stop by, anytime.
I just heard today on some other board....Geek Squad charged a lady $300 for cleaning her computer out of some infection!!

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
OUCH!!! Hmmm...maybe I should charg---- NO, I like to help for free :)