Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wired vs. wireless Internet connection security in hotel rooms

• Please log in to reply

mediamaverick1

mediamaverick1

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm looking at hotels with in-room 'net access and some are wired and some aren't, or they have a "bridge" to plug into your computer to make it wireless but the bridge to in-room access is still not wired. One hotel also uses a common username/password to access the 'net for all rooms but I don't know if this means others can see what you're doing online. Does any of this make a difference in security? I've always preferred wired just for reliability and not having to rely on a wireless connection but not sure of security issues. Any help welcome. Thanks!

Advertisements

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
The wired vs wireless depends on whether the hotel is using data encryption on their wireless network.
If you don't know. Go Wired.

One hotel also uses a common username/password to access the 'net for all rooms but I don't know if this means others can see what you're doing online

Hard to tell what they may be doing, could just be a way to keep non-paying customers from plugging in.

Does any of this make a difference in security?

That all depends on what your concerned about.

If your selling government secrets. :) They have special equipment, wouldn't make any difference.
If your doing Banking transactions. I personally wouldn't do that in a hotel. (Wired or wireless)

Since I don't know your exact concerns(Which you shouldn't post anywhere), giving you a Yes/No type answer is difficult.

The only thing I can say with certunty, you should always have a firewall , antivirus, and antispyware running on your sytem.

Edited by isimaster, 10 March 2009 - 11:20 PM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
My advise is if in a public place use a VPN if possible.

mediamaverick1

mediamaverick1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the feedback. What is a VPN and how would I use it with a standard desktop computer for a wireless connection? What about an aircard? Forgive my ignorance on this -- just not that familiar with the tech. Thanks.

Edited by mediamaverick1, 13 March 2009 - 08:00 PM.

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

What is a VPN and how would I use it with a standard desktop computer for a wireless connection?

VPN stands for Virtual Private Network.
It is used to connect a PC, over the internet, to a single destination.
For example, it is used to connect you from your hotel to your business.
A piece of software is needed on your PC, and the business has to be set up to accept VPN connections.
You can' use it to surf the net.

What about an aircard?

An AirCard® will enable you to have Internet access without having to rely on hot spot availability, access to a phone line for dial-up..

You will need a service plan (normally through your cell phone service provider) that allows you to access the Internet with your AirCard®.

This is just a form of wireless.