Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Access denied

• Please log in to reply

james09

james09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
done

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.JPG

Advertisements

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
I need to see your windowsupdatelog.

It is located in C:\windows, the name is windowsupdatelog.txt
It's this one:windowsupdatelog.JPG

Please upload that with your next reply

james09

james09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
i tried uploading the file here but it said "you are not permitted to upload these types of files"
so i sent it to file.den
http://www.fileden.c...ndowsUpdate.log
hope ya can see it from there

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
I have reviewed your WindowsUpdate Logs.
The Problem started on Friday the 13th of February, I suspect it was the malware that you had removed from your system to be the cause.
The bad guys think it's cute, messing up machines on specific days.
I am going to open a support request with Microsoft, since your security settings look OK.

This is Microsoft's site for free phone support for Windows Update Security issue's
http://www.microsoft...rt/default.mspx

To open a Support Request:

Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
https://support.micr...aspx?gprid=6527

Edited by isimaster, 18 March 2009 - 05:56 AM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
james09,

Before we do that lets try a few things. Are we working with XP home or XP pro?

james09

james09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
xp pro

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
Hello james09,

I've read your post and researched this site for others like it. There are others with the same problem as you, two this week. The solution has been to re-install windows. I don't particularly agree with that solution but can understand why it was given. There are many places where access can be denied within the file structiure itself and in the registry. It's extreamly time consuming to investigate all of the possibilities in the registry.

I did notice a recomendation to contact microsoft.
Have you done this?

If not, this could be your oppertunity to contribute to helping others, those with the same problem as you today and those that may have this problem in the future. I'm sure the GTG folks would appreciate this information and if microsoft doesn't have an answer, we are all in a lot of trouble!!

Regards,
Magglass

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
I found some information from microsoft in regards to this issue.

The steps that I am about to suggest involve modifying the registry. Modifying the registry can be dangerous so we will make a backup of the registry first.
Modification of the registry can be EXTREMELY dangerous if you do not know exactly what you are doing so follow the steps that are listed below EXACTLY. if you cannot preform some of these steps or if you have ANY questions please ask BEFORE proceeding.

Backing Up Your Registry
  • Go Here and download ERUNT
    (ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utility NT) is a free program that allows you to keep a complete backup of your registry and restore it when needed.)
  • Install ERUNT by following the prompts
    (use the default install settings but say no to the portion that asks you to add ERUNT to the start-up folder, if you like you can enable this option later)
  • Start ERUNT
    (either by double clicking on the desktop icon or choosing to start the program at the end of the setup)
  • Choose a location for the backup
    (the default location is C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT which is acceptable).
  • Make sure that at least the first two check boxes are ticked
  • Press OK
  • Press YES to create the folder.
Registry Modifications

Please follow these steps:

1. Click on Start, Run and type "REGEDIT" (w/o the quotes). The Registry Editor will open.

WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall Windows XP/2K. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\WindowsUpdate

3. You should see a key called "DisableWindowsUpdateAccess".

Check the data value for this key. In order to access the Windows Update site, the data value should be a zero "0". If the value is set to a one "1", then your PC is currently configured to DENY access to the Windows Update site. You need to change the value of this key to a zero "0" to allow your PC access to the site. To change the data value, double-click on the key name and set the value to a zero "0".

4. Now navigate to this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]

5. You should see a key called "NoWindowsUpdate".

Check the data value for this key. In order to access the Windows Update site, the data value should be a zero "0". If the value is set to a one "1", then your PC is currently configured to DENY access to the Windows Update site. You need to change the value of this key to a zero "0" to allow your PC access to the site. To change the data value, double-click on the key name and set the value to a zero "0".

6. If you changed any of the data values, then close the registry editor, reboot your PC and try the Windows Update site again.

This also will occur if the account that the user is using does not have full permissions
to the Program Files\Windowsupdate\V4\Temp folder and the iuident.cab is not in this folder.

Magglass

Magglass

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
tuxmaster, FYI, it appears you already had him do steps 2&3 under,Registry Modifications, in post #11, the results were in post #12.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Magglass,

Yes I am aware of that however it was only one of the registry keys.

Advertisements

bfaul

bfaul

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a suggestion for this problem, since I just encountered the same symptoms after working on a machine affected with a tenacious little ransomware bug. Assuming the original poster has access to regedit, edit the registry and navigate to: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wuauserv". "wuauserv" is the Windows update service. Check the value for the key field ImagePath. It should look like this: "%SystemRoot%\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs".

On the machine I was working on the value had been changed by the trojan to "%fystemRoot%\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs". As you can see the "S" in System had been changed to an "f". To change the "f" back to "S" doubleclick on "ImagePath" and you'll get a text box with the value that can be changed. Change the "fsystem" to "System" and hit "OK".

One more thing, when I did this it gave me an error box that said I couldn't change the value. The trojan had protected this as well. If this happens close the error box and then click the regedit "Edit" menu and select "Permissions...". You get a dialog that lets you set permissions for the current value. Select the Administrator group (you should be logged on as an administrator) and click the box under "Allow" on the row titled "Full Control" in the bottom half of the dialog, then click "OK". Now try changing the ImagePath value again. You should be able to do it now.

I had to make this same change at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\wuauserv" and again for ControlSet002 and ControlSet004. Check them all.
One last note. I had to do the same thing for the BITS service at "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\BITS" before the BITS service could be started. Check ControlSet001 thru ControlSetXXX for this same value and change them as well. The BITS service is also used for Windows update.

I don't know if you problem is the same as mine but it's worth checking. Good luck!

james09

james09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
awesome thanks guys
i tried the second option with having a look in regedit.
turns out i did have that %fystemRoot%\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs" problem.
which is understandable considering i have recently got rid of alot of malware on my computer.
all f's have been changed back to s's and automatic updates is working fine now thanks.

isimaster

isimaster

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
Thanks, bfaul. That one has been keeping me awake at night!!!

James09, it's great to see the solution has been found for you!!

Thanks again, Bfaul!!!!!!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi bfaul ...welcome to Geeks To Go... :)

great job...thanks for taking the time to post your solution... :)
you not only helped the OP you gave quite a few of us techs some valuable info... :)
this is a great site...we can all learn something ever day...
I hope you stick around ... :)

james09

james09

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
hi
just wondering.... when i restart my system it turns back on with automatic updates turned off?