Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Access denied

• Please log in to reply

bfaul

bfaul

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Checking back, and I'm pleased to see that helped you james09, and to happyrock and isimaster thank you and you're welcome. This must be a fairly new tactic because I had to do some real digging on the web to finally find a suggestion that worked. I'd credit the place and person but I don't even remember where I found it. It was late on Saturday night by the time I got it working and I was feeling a little punchy.

As to your final question james09, all I can suggest is going over some of the earlier suggestions where they step you through turning the service on. It ought to allow you to switch it on and off. If it's turning back off on a reboot that doesn't sound like an accident to me. Check to be sure some bug isn't undoing your fixes. Good luck.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep...go to automatic update in the control panel and put a tick in automatic (recommended)...reboot..
leave it that way for a few days and if does not stay you will have to go back thru this topic and try the steps...if it still won't stick we will have to send you back thru the malware forum...
if it sticks... I recommend you set yours like I have my set...to notify you but not download or install them...that way you can let them set for about 3 days...enough time for the early adopters to find out if the patch works OK or if its causing issues...if it IS causing problems the MS guys will fix it asap...hence the reason to let the update sit for a few days...there are usually a couple of updates per year that cause problems..

Edited by happyrock, 25 March 2009 - 04:51 PM.