Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP cannot boot after WinSxS file modification

• Please log in to reply

Esope

Esope

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi,

I'm developing an application for my client and they ask me to swap my WinSxS folder for their WinSxS because one application they did refuse to start!

I do not know very much about WinSxS but I was suspicious. I find that their WinSxS directory have a lot of file I do not have and it was the same things on my side. I mean, I had a lot of files they were missing. So I decided to copy only the file they have that I didn't have. I did this very carefully with WinDiff to spot the different files.

In the process, I start notepad and the calc.exe and my computer start to behave strangely. It was impossible to start another application. I try a lots of application an it was impossible to start anything. At this point I decided to reboot. Since this moment, my computer refuse to reboot. I tried safe mode and it take a long time to process and anything is working at the end. In both started mode (normal and safe mode), I got the same behavior : the hard disk work intensively and the screen stay black. But, I got the windows logo start screen (with the green progress bar) and the mouse is present and functional. But anything is present and working. Another point, when I boot in SafeMode, I see all the files that is loading and it stop for a very long time (more than 10 min) on the hotcore3.sys file (in fact, this is the last line I see since the computer start to access intensively the hard drive and seam to do nothing).

I'm using Win XP SP3 on a Dell XPS laptop.

Anybody have a cue about this strange behavior?

Many thanks to all

Advertisements