Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lsass.exe error

• Please log in to reply

Sylita

Sylita

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Tried to boot my HP laptop last evening. XP tried to boot, but then I get the lsass.exe error message box. I click OK, then goes to a black screen. It tries to reboot again, then the same message. If I can't logon to restore to an earlier date, or to remove the file, what other options do I have?

Advertisements

nomdeplume

nomdeplume

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Insert your operating system CD and then restart the computer. (you'll have to configure the BIOS to start from your CD-ROM drive.)

When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.

Select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console.

When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

At the command prompt you might start with chkdsk /p /r and see if that'll repair the problems. The /p switch runs Chkdsk even if the drive is not flagged as dirty. The /r switch locates bad sectors and recovers readable information. This switch implies /p. Chkdsk requires Autochk. Chkdsk automatically looks for Autochk.exe in the startup folder. If Chkdsk cannot find the file in the startup folder, it looks for the Windows 2000 Setup CD-ROM. If Chkdsk cannot find the installation CD-ROM, Chkdsk prompts the user for the location of Autochk.exe.

If it doesn't you'll have to do a repair installation.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
I suggest you try to boot into safe mode, and try a system restore.
http://www.computerh...sues/chsafe.htm

If you can get to safe mode, then go Start -> Run -> msconfig
Click on System Restore and follow the steps.

Can you also post your computer's make and model?
This could be a malware infection. What happened before the problem started happening? Any devices or drivers installed?

You could try the steps here: http://icrontic.com/...pair_windows_xp
They may fix your problem. In order to repair Windows as entailed in the link above you should have your Windows Setup CD.

If you don't then click on "Recovery Console Instructions" in my sig and follow the steps to create a CD that you can use with the link above.