Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System 32 Folder

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• Topic Starter
  • 34,114 posts
UPDATE UPDATE

I just opened msconfig and clicked off the load startup items
and no popup.. Now I hope that gives u some ideal of where we can start looking

Ron

PS. I just found this in the 567 page I've looked at for this problem. Can this affect xp and IE8 this way?

http://support.micro...B;EN-US;q228502

Edited by rshaffer61, 14 March 2009 - 05:27 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• Topic Starter
  • 34,114 posts
GOOOOOOOOOOOD NEWS
I found the problem and u won't believe what it was
In the msconfig startup, this line

MSASCUI C:\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe _hide HKCU\SOFTWARMicrosoft\Windows\Currentversion\Run

Now I don't see anything in that line that would cause the problem but I disable it and no popup.
Have you ever seen anything like this?
The only thing I see that may raise a flag to me is the _hide
Let me know what you think please.

Ron :)

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I found the problem and u won't believe what it was

Somehow, I'm not surprised! MS being the way it is!

Good for you though! I was going to mention unchecking all the Startup items in msconfig one at a time, but I was waiting to see what would happen with System, and Win.ini files first. I didn't expect you to run through everything, but I'm glad you did. Its always nice to see people do things on their own! :)

I don't know what could be the problem with Windows Defender as I don't use it. Did you install it on purpose as I'm also running XP and I'm sure it doesn't come with either SP2 or SP3? Its curious that HJT didn't catch this in the HKCU hive as I'm sure it scans the Run key. It didn't show up on the HJT log for HKCU, although it did show up under HKLM.

In any case, apparently there might be something wrong with the key, so if you feel comfortable, you can go to that key address and take a look to see if there is anything weird about it. Please be careful in there! The key looks to start WD and perhaps what it's looking for is not there, thus the error and subsequent pop-up. Does WD appear to be running ok?

Have you ever seen anything like this?

No I haven't. I have seen malformed reg keys cause problems (like the sound problem I mentioned), and having the System32 folder pop up is quite common, but nothing with just C:\Windows popping up at start.

Edited by makai, 14 March 2009 - 07:31 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• Topic Starter
  • 34,114 posts
Yes WD is working fine even with the startup disabled. Yes I did install it. From microsoft themselves. But who would have thought there would be a problem with thier software... Hahahahahahahaha

I have no problem trying to fix things on my own. I have been building clone systems, repairing systems and putting together networks for over 10 years. But sometimes its the simple things that throw you for a loop. Virut was the first time in over 10 years I have ever been beaten on not being able to fix a system.
I have 5 systems in my house now all running online at the same time and I keep them all working correctly.
In fact my son has a thread going right now in this forum
his name is damientheillusionosit
his thread is about his defrag not working. I downloaded a free one for him from
auslogics.com
I hope I have answered your question about liking to see someone do some work on their own. I love working on system and finding the answers to problems for people.
Just this time I was the one needing the help. You and Essex are great and I will recommend anyone to come to you guys for help.

Ron :)

Edited by rshaffer61, 14 March 2009 - 07:55 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Thanks Ron! Yah, Essexboy has been here for a while, so he's very good at what he does. I'm sure he appreciates your kind words! I sort of guessed you knew your way around computers just by your ealier responses. On a site like this though, we have to approach everyone with caution just so there's no mistakes that will render the OPs computer unbootable. I used to be a Trusted Tech here a while back but had to drop out for personal reasons. I'm still here off and on, and like you, I like to help people out if I can. By the way, I did see your son's thread earlier, and the person helping him (Neil) is very capable, I'm sure his computer will be back to normal in no time. Neils a very busy guy though, so please be patient. Thanks! I'm glad you got your computer going again! :)

Aloha,
makai