Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ethernet controller missing

• Please log in to reply

tenzi

tenzi

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
hi all,
i am so fraustrated, for more than week i been tryin to fix the ethernet problem. yellow dot in device manager shows on ethernet controller. so i went to dell website for the network driver. i install it in my computer but the problem still remain same.
I have dell dimension 2400 desktop. after virus infection, my internet went off and i cn't connect to the internet. i format my computer and install a fresh xp pro. After installation i am missing several drivers in my computer .. like video, audio, intel chipset. so i downloaded them from the cd that come along with it when bought. ie, chipset, video, network, audio and modem...
everything install perfectly except the ethernet controller.. which keeps on showing a yellow dot, which i guess it means am missing network driver .. so i downloaded again from the CD and also from the dell website .. i still can't make it work ..i use RJ45 wire for the network ..
Can anyone shed some light on this thing .. ? helpme out i am so fraustrated.. and the dell CS isn't much of use.. Help me out .. plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Edited by tenzi, 11 March 2009 - 10:30 PM.

Advertisements

tenzi

tenzi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
can anyone help me out .. i run the diagnostic from the dell cd today and it shows on chip CPU it says unsupported test for BCM 440x.

help me out plzzzz

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey tenzi,

If you have downloaded the drivers from the website, let's try re-install your network adapter and use those drivers.

Step 1 - Re-install your network adapter:
Please do the following -- *Note: You may need your Network adapter drivers CD in order to complete these steps.
  • Click Start, select Run, type devmgmt.msc and press OK
  • In the Device Manager, expand Network adapters
  • Under Network adapters, right-click your network adapter and select Uninstall.
  • Restart your computer; upon reboot, Windows will detect New Hardware and ask you to install your network adapter; please proceed to do so, pointing it to the drivers that you downloaded.
Once you have installed the adapter, does it still appear with the yellow exclamation mark (!) in Device Manager? Let's do a connectivity test -- you'll need some form of removable media (i.e. a USB chip) in order to transfer the file to a computer with a working Internet connection in order to post the contents.

Step 2 - Connectivity test:
  • Press Start
  • Select Run
  • Type cmd and press OK
  • In the new command prompt window, please type the following commands (*Note: each ping will take approximately 10 seconds to complete; wait for the command prompt to return before you type the next one. Also, the single '>' and double '>>' are intentional; please type the commands exactly as they appear):
    • ipconfig /all > C:\results.txt
    • route print >> C:\results.txt
    • ping 127.0.0.1 >> C:\results.txt
    • ping google.com >> C:\results.txt
    • ping 209.85.171.100 >> C:\results.txt
  • Once the above commands have completed, navigate to your C: drive and open the text file results.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.
Thanks,
- Dan

tenzi

tenzi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
thnk you for the response , i just wanna add 2 more thing ..
1. 01/04/0: Error allocating I/O BAR for PCI device. ( this one shows after dell logo when i switch on my computer).
2. The ethernet controller with the yellow dot shows under other device.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : yse-81b827f2b7f

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0D-56-20-59-70

===========================================================================
Interface List
0x1 ........................... MS TCP Loopback interface
0x10003 ...00 0d 56 20 59 70 ...... Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
Active Routes:
Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric
127.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 1
255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 255.255.255.255 10003 1
Persistent Routes:
None

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

Ping request could not find host google.com. Please check the name and try again.

Pinging 209.85.171.100 with 32 bytes of data:

Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 209.85.171.100:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

thank you Dan...

Attached Files

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

1. 01/04/0: Error allocating I/O BAR for PCI device. ( this one shows after dell logo when i switch on my computer).
2. The ethernet controller with the yellow dot shows under other device.

Hm, in your adapters device status, does it say anything along the lines of "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use."? Please have a look --
  • Press Start
  • Select Run
  • Type devmgmt.msc and press OK
  • In the new window, please expand Network Adapters
  • Right-click on your network adapter and select Properties.
  • What does it say under Device status?
Also, what's the make and model of your network adapter? Also, since you mentioned that your adapter doesn't appear under the correct heading, the instructions may be a little off.

Have you installed the latest BIOS drivers for your machine? I may end up grabbing a few of our more hardware-savvy techs to have a look at this.

tenzi

tenzi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
in device manager - network adaptor + Broadcom 440X 10/100 integrated controller, right click - properties -status - working properly.

how come in other devices it shows ethernet controller. sorry little confused, where can i view the make and model ? well i just installed the BIOS that is in the dell website and there is only one in there..

Thnks Dan..

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
tenzi,

Do you see more then one RJ45 Connector on your system?

tenzi

tenzi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
yes i do.... one i guess its onboard one(its rightbelow the speaker n mic port and along with the usb port).. and the other one is which we put on slot ..

thnks tuxmaster

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
tenzi,

Do you still want that other ethernet controller driver? I can see what I can do to find the driver for it.

tenzi

tenzi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
hey tuxmaster,
yeh it would be really goood. hopefully it would fix my internet connection. the main problem was i couldn't get internet connection. i had my internet connection through router you know like comcast modem to linksys router and then to my computer.
thnks tuxmaster

tenzi

tenzi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
hallo tuxmaster you there... anyone can help me out

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
I apolgoize about that. Go ahead and go into device manager. Double click on the Ethernet Controler with a question mark. Now go into Details on the drop down select Hardware IDs Let me know what is listed under value for Hardware IDs.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you ever get this sorted out....if not try connecting the cable to the other RJ 45 connector