Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hanging at DMI pool data

• Please log in to reply

hdgodfrey

hdgodfrey

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
My neighbor tried to install XP on a system that could not handle it. I am trying to get back to a command prompt or windows screen so I can do ANYTHING. But when it loads it just stops at verifying DMI pool data :) So I guess I just need a way to get it to dos or back into windows 98, (the Operating system it had on it when he tried the xp install

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This error is typically caused because there's too much hardware connected to the computer (inside and outside) and the PC has basically no room to do anything. This is not an XP issue, this is a board issue. It can also be caused by the changing of options in the system BIOS.
Remove any USB devices connected, go into the BIOS (usually F2, F1 or Del) and there should be an option to "Load Default Settings" or something similar. Use that, press F10 to come out and the problem should be solved.

hdgodfrey

hdgodfrey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Worked fine with current setup and windows 98. started XP install, computer restarted and then it hangs at verifiying DMI pool data. I have tried reseting bios to setup and bios defaults and nothing. If I could just get to a dos prompt. I think he used bios to low level format the C: drive so all data may be erased. What can I do?

Leurgy

Leurgy

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Assuming you have a floppy drive getting a dos prompt is easy. Go to Bootdisk.com and download the Windows98 OEM one. Execute the file you download with a blank, formatted floppy in the drive and the bootdisk will be created for you.

Having said that, if the XP cd formatted the disk NTFS then you won't see anything. Alternatively, you can boot from the XP cd and go to the Recovery Console and check the contents of the drive there.

How to start the Windows Recovery Console from your Windows XP installation disc. Go to Option 2: Starting the Windows Recovery Console from the Windows XP CD-ROM. Note: Where you see "When you are prompted, type the Administrator password" if there isn't one, just press enter.

hdgodfrey

hdgodfrey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I have tried all the appropriate boot disks and I still cant get passed Verifying DMI pool data. I have attempted to change my Bios setting from C,A to A,C and nothing. So then I tried the win 98 startup CD and changed the Bios setting to CDROM, C, A and still nothing. :) I have reset the config and tried these ways again. I have also adjusting every bios setting I though might help NOTHING. So I have reset the settings and I am waiting for your reply.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP SO FAR PLEASE KEEP IT COMING :) for the first time I feel like I am talking to people who understand these things.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello hdgodfrey...

In some of the old BIOS versions there is a setting to "Reset Configuration Data" or to "Force Update ESCD". This setting, if present, should be in the Advanced CMOS setup. If you can find one of these settings in the BIOS Setup, set it to "Enabled" (it will reset to the default of disabled after the boot), save the settings (F10 and confirm) and see if it will get past the DMI hang.

If the settings are not present, or don't solve the issue, try resetting the CMOS. This will require removal of the motherboard battery and may require a jumper change. It would be helpful if we had the make and model number of your motherboard (or machine if it's OEM) before doing this so we can check to see if there is a reset jumper to change...and where it is on the board. It's usually near the battery, but that's not always the case on some older machines. If, on the other hand, you are familiar with resetting the CMOS on that machine, that is the way I would proceed.

wannabe1

hdgodfrey

hdgodfrey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I have enabled the Reset configuration data and it said escd succesfull then Verifiying DMI pool data... and then it stops. :)
The make and model of the motherboard is a tekrm P6L40-A4 (x) I have the user's manual but it doesn't tell me how to use the jumper to reset only to remove battery. I have tried this but I am wondering what should I do once its reset us the win 98 cd, or try to boot the 98 0em floppy disk. When I tried this last time I was unable to get either to load, I'll try again. KEEP THE SUGGESTIONS COMING THEY ARE GREAT! :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We may be looking at recreating the startup disk. Usually, if they are created correctly, the machine will boot to the floppy without having to load the on-chip configurations. A machine as old as yours will likely not have the drivers needed to boot to a cd unless they are installed by the startup disk.

Look in the BIOS Setup...under the Standard CMOS Setup and locate the setting for "Halt On:". Make sure it's set to "No Errors". Also make sure that all the drives are set to "Auto". Save any changes you make (F10 and confirm) and see if it will boot past the DMI hang.

Do you have an unused (new) floppy diskette handy?

hdgodfrey

hdgodfrey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Yes I do have an empty floppy. I have also set everything to auto and halt on no errors. still Dmi pool data...

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
We'll try a slightly different startup disk this time...a little more recent one.

Download this Win98SE OEM Startup Disk and save it to your desktop. (Direct Download)

Do Not put a floppy in the floppy drive until prompted to do so by the disk creation application.

Double click on the downloaded file to start the application. Insert a new, formatted floppy diskette into the floppy drive when prompted to do so and click "Ok".

Enter the BIOS Setup on the old machine and make sure the boot sequence is set to A,C. Insert the newly created startup disk into the floppy drive, press F10 and confirm, then see if it will boot to the startup disk.

Advertisements

hdgodfrey

hdgodfrey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Still nothing. I made the disk and put it in but it still continues to load to Verifying DMI pool data and freezing.
I even set the Bios to check the floppy and (boot up floppy seek) and the head moves during POST. So I think that it is recognizing my a drive right? THANK you for your help so far Whats next?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The heads move, but can the floppy drive read? Do you know that the drive is good?

hdgodfrey

hdgodfrey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
not sure. He never had occasion to use it. If that were the problem would I be able to get or buy one that works and just plug it in and try? I might have access to one I know works, and sorry about the double messages. I am very greatful for your help

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
If you have a known good one you can try, that would be perfect. They are quite easy to install and you can even disconnect the cables from the one in the bad machine and connect them to the good one without installing it in the case...so long as you can reach it with the cables. Place it on a coffee cup or a stack of books...whatever you have handy that is non-conductive.

Floppy drives are easy to hook up wrong, too. The power connector is just opposite of those in the other drives. The red wire should be closest to the edge of the drive...whereas, on the other drives it will be the yellow wire that closest to the edge. The connector is designed to prevent you connecting it wrong, but it's not very effective.

The data cable (ribbon) will also install backwards...it's not slotted as the other drive connectors are. It helps if you mark the top of the ribbon when you remove it so you always know where "up" is...I use a piece of tape or a magic marker. If, when you start the machine, the floppy drive light comes on and stays on with no diskette in the drive...then the data cable is backwards. If the light flashes a couple times and goes out when there is no diskette present, then it's connected properly.

Or you can buy one. They are not at all expensive. Don't get an external one, though...they tend to not work on the older machines. Examples at newegg.com

hdgodfrey

hdgodfrey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ok I tried a different floppy drive (not a new one) from and old machine that is out of use. Nither that one or the originals lights flash when I turn the computer on. The only way I can get them to even come on is by using the head check bios option. As you pointed out this doesn't mean they are reading but both seemed to be hooked up right. Do you think that both could be bad. Should the light absolutly flash when I turn system on? If you think it might help I will pick up a new one. Also I would like to thank you properly is the DONATE link the best way to do so. I don't have alot of money but you have definely gone out of your way to help. Anyway I guess my only question is- Is it worth it to buy a new floppy drive and does the fact that the lights don't flash on startup mean they aren't working?
Awaiting your reply.... Thanks