Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer logs on then logs off immediately

• Please log in to reply

melymouse66

melymouse66

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My computer was working just fine and then I went to start it up and have been trying to start it for some time. It comes up and when I click on the user log on it says logging on then immediately goes to logging off. If Im lucky it will get through but not one icon will appear on the screen and it just sits there. I have a Dell Inspirion. I would love some help. Ive removed the battery, no change. And tried in safe mode, no change but not in command prompt so Im hoping someone can help me type something in command prompt to get me moving in the correct avenue. Thank you for your help.

Advertisements

melymouse66

melymouse66

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Tried everything I could think of last night. Took out battery. Tried to start in safe mode but wont let me past user accounts. I click on it and it says loading, saving, closing. Tried last good configuration and I can get past user accounts at that point but it just goes to the icon screen with no icons. Tried putting disc in CD but cant read it, wont even go to command prompt. Im on a dell inspirion E1505.

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
You likely need to enter the BIOS and change the boot order to boot from CD before the HDD. Should just have to hit F1 or F2 on boot up to access the BIOS. Once you do that you should follow these directions.
# When the Windows XP Setup has started, press "R" to "repair the Windows XP installation using Recovery Console".
# Select the Windows installation to repair (generally this is C:\Windows) by typing its number and then pressing ENTER.
# Type the Administrator password and press ENTER. Just hit ENTER if you don't have an administrator password.
# Type the following commands: Hit Enter after each step
D:
CD I386
EXPAND USERINIT.EX_ C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 (note there is a space after the underscore)
After this you it should say "1 files copied" Reboot your PC and it should boot correctly.