Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD and Sound Problems

• Please log in to reply

swish54

swish54

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Have had this problem since I added 1GB to my RAM...CD_ROM works, I can use it to write, store data &pics, dowload data and pics & can play audio CDs but can't play DVDs anymore...I can view videos online but can't get any sound...I do have system sounds as well as sound from audio CDs so I know speakers are connected correctlyI've upgraded all drivers through Dell Support but no change...Windows DVD troubleshooter suggests a decoder possibly...Anyone have any suggestions? I also installed service pack 3 after upgrading my Ram.

Dell Dimension 2400, 2.4GHz Intel Celeron, 1.25GB RAM, Windows XP SP3 Home
SoundMAX Digital Integrated Digital Audio
CD-Rom CD-RW CRX217E

Edited by swish54, 11 March 2009 - 01:15 PM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
SP3 has been known to kill machines... I've experienced it myself on several IBM Thinkpads. I never recommend it unless the user specifically knows it will work with the machine. You might try uninstalling SP3 through Control Panel Add/Remove Programs. Once you restart your machine, run System restore and restore to a point just before you installed SP3. I doubt this is a ram problem.

Edited by makai, 11 March 2009 - 05:19 PM.

swish54

swish54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks makai, I'll try that and let you know

swish54

swish54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Unable to uninstall sp3...In add or remove programs there is no add/remove box for sp3...Any suggestions?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
You have to put a check mark in the "Show updates" box of Add/Remove Programs. SP3 should then show up.

swish54

swish54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Got rid of sp3 but still no change...Can only play audio CDs, can view videos online but no sound...I can dowload a video to realplayer and then can view and get sound...CD-Rom works, I can install programs and hardware from it, can burn CDs...I checked everything in device manager, it says every device is installed and working properly...I appreciate the help so far, any more suggestions?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
It might be you need to reinstall Adobe Flash to cure your on-line sound problem. Have you tried this yet?

As for your DVD not being able to play DVDs, it might be that the drive is either dirty or just getting old. Did all of this just all of a sudden happen when you installed the new ram and upgraded to SP3? Was the DVD playing fine before you did this, or did you have intermittant problems with it for a while?

swish54

swish54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
OK, first of all I appreciate the help...I uninstalled adobe flash player & reinstalled...Now when I try to view a video like on youtube I get a message that says "JavaScript is turned off or you are using an older version of flash player"...Can't locate anyway to turn on JavaScript...I cannot log onto windows update either, I get error 0x8DDD0004...None of the solutions they give for this error work...When the address bar pops up to have me install the active x control I click on it, click install, it installs but I get the original page back with no change...Also when I view Add or Remove programs it shows Adobe Air & Adobe Flash Player 10 Pluggin but doesn't show anything about size.

Afraid I caused other problems that I didn't have before...Again, I really appreciate any suggestions you have. :)

I also just discovered that I can view videos using Firefox but still no sound...The message about JavaScript is when I'm using Internet Explorer

Edited by swish54, 16 March 2009 - 11:13 AM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
We'll get back to flash in IE later.

Warning... incorrectly editing the registry can render your computer unbootable.

That said, I need you to verify something in your registry. I don't want you to make any changes to the registry, just verify and report what you see.

Go to Start>run... type regedit, then click OK
The Registry Window will open
On the left side of the window you will see registry keys with a "plus" sign next to them. You will navigate through the registry by clicking on the plus sign for everything below...
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
SOFTWARE
MICROSOFT
Windows NT
CurrentVersion

If you look down the list under CurrentVersion, you will see a folder named Drivers32. Click once on the Drivers32 folder and it will become highlighted... many items will then be displayed in the right-hand screen. Do you see an entry named wavemapper. If so, look at the data column and tell me what is listed there.

Edited by makai, 16 March 2009 - 01:00 PM.

swish54

swish54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Wavemapper data: msacm32.dvr

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well, it's not the wavemapper. Wavemapper has been noted to be missing and when it is, on-line audio doesn't play.

I have to think about this for awhile. There are so many possiblities when it comes to missing on-line sound. Most of the time, its just a reinstallation of Flash. If you go HERE does the flash presentation play, or do you get a blank box. Please try it in both IE and FF.

swish54

swish54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Could view the vid on FF but no sound...Tried wit IE & got message "To view Java Script must be enabled or install latest version of Adobe Flash Player".

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Do you have any popup blockers running in IE or FF. Are you running any extensions in FF, like NoScript or Adblock?

swish54

swish54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Not that I know of, when I open add-ons in the tools menu all add-ons are enabled.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Go back HERE in IE. In IE's menu, open Tools>Manage Add-ons. Do you see Shockwave displayed in the window? If you do, click on it once to highlight it, then select Disable under Settings, then click on OK. You will see a popup... click OK. The page will refresh... try to install Flash again and if you are prompted to install the ActiveX component, do so.