Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD and Sound Problems

• Please log in to reply

swish54

swish54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Followed instructions but the only place I found shockwave in add-ons was under add-ons that run without requiring permission...I disabled it there, pop-up instructed to restart...I did, installed flash again from my desktop, no change...Tried to install flash from adobe page you directed me to & it wouldn't install.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
When you tried to install from IE, did you get an error?

I've uploaded a document with screenshots. Well, its more a query to know if you're seeing the same thing I see when you install Flash in IE. Do you see the same screens with the same options? You know after all of this it's probably going to turn out to be something really simple like dumping your Flash cache!

Edited by makai, 16 March 2009 - 07:29 PM.

swish54

swish54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Yes, that's what I see...I click install & get the box asking if I want to install...I click on run, the box disappears and I get the same page...I also get an install flash icon on my desktop...I click that, click run but get nothing.

Edited by swish54, 18 March 2009 - 12:08 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hmmm...
When you went to Control Panel, did you see both...
Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX
Adobe Flash Player 10 Plug-in

Were both of them there?

If they both were there, and you uninstalled them, did you then also see the "yellow activeX warning" bar in IE when you visited the Adobe site? I'm trying to find out if your computer knew that there was NO ActiveX Flash component.

After you reinstalled flash, did the yellow bar disappear in IE?

swish54

swish54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Yes, I had both in control panel after i uninstalled adobe flash and then reinstalled both...When I originally reinstalled flash I got the yellow active x warning bar in IE...After I installed it disappeared...Adobe Air, Adobe Flash Player 10 Active x & Adobe Flash Player 10 plugin show nothing about size...Adobe Shockwave Player 11 shows size 7.12MB...I also get Error 0x8DDD0004 when I try to log onto Windows Update, don't know if this is related...None of the solutions I get from Windows will work to fix it.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Sheesh!

It looks like you're going to have to work a little harder! I hope you don't mind!

Go HERE and download the uninstaller for Flash and run it. Just read the page to get information about what to do.
Go to Control panel and uninstall Adobe Air, Shockwave Player 11, Flash Player 10 ActiveX, Flash Player 10 Plugin... and whatever else Adobe type players are there. Since I don't know what you have, you will have to decide. Also, I don't know what the Flash uninstaller will uninstall for you, so run that first and then go to Control panel to do your thing.

If you look on this board, there are a ton of threads for Flash problems. Its something very difficult to isolate so all we can do is try. I've read on websites that it may even just be the Flash player settings you have to mess with, but I'm not sure that would fix your problem. I've also read that Quicktime might be messing something up and needs to be uninstalled, then reinstalled after Flash is working properly, but then, I don't even know if you use Quicktime.

By the way, do you have msacm32.drv in the C:\Windows\System32 folder?

Edited by makai, 19 March 2009 - 05:33 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Another thing... if you go to Control panel>Sounds and Audio Devices>is the default sound device your sound card or is it some other device?

swish54

swish54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I do have msacm32 in windows folder and my sound card is the default...Sound Max Digital Audio...I'll try everything you suggested and let you know what happens...Thanks again for your time and help.

OK, I uninstalled all adobe programs including Photoshop, also uninstalled Quicktime...Went to Adobe site to reinstall and get the message that Java Script needs to be enabled...I click install and get a message about the yellow bar at the top, "click to install active x control" but no yellow bar appears...I have an install_flash icon on my desktop, should I use that?

Edited by swish54, 20 March 2009 - 07:18 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not meaning to overstep Makai but when listening to audio is this cd audio or mp3's?
Codecs may be corrupted

swish54

swish54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I don't think makai would mind, we've been struggling with this for a few days now...I appreciate all the help I can get...I haven't tried mp3's,CD audio is all I can get, I can play CDs but can't play DVDs...I could download videos online, play them back on realplayer and get sound there but can't get sound while viewing online...Since I uninstalled flash I can't view or get sound on realplayer and I've been unable to reinstall flash.

Edited by swish54, 20 March 2009 - 08:49 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Makai is great at figuring out problems as he has helped me recently.
I noticed you are using realplayer, is that for dvd's also?
Have you tried Windows Media Player?

swish54

swish54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I'm using realplayer, I installed flash and quicktime again so I can now download videos and get sound that way...Flash still shows no size in add/remove programs...I can play CDs on Windows Media Player but there is no option for DVD there...When I try to play DVDs on realplayer it just instructs me to insert a DVD.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Not meaning to overstep Makai... <snip>

No worries! This kind of problem welcomes all advice.

Flash still shows no size in add/remove programs

I know you mentioned this before and I wasn't disregarding it... I was thinking about it. Yesterday, Flash showed the program sizes in my Control panel... that is, until I deleted the wavemapper entry in my registry trying to kill my internet sound in an experiment. Deleting the wavemapper did kill the sound in both IE and FF. I reinstalled the registry entry and sound came back so I thought nothing of it. Today when I look at Flash in Control panel, they indicate no size for both programs. Very wieird.

Just out of curiosity, where do you have your speakers plugged into? Are they plugged into a green jack on the back of the computer? If not, try plugging into the green jack.

Also, if you go to Control Panel>Sounds... do you have your sound set up for "Stereo" or "Surround Sound"... try setting up for "Stereo".

I'm still hunting...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I've never used real player much but the basic plugins should apply to both wmp and rp.
If you can't play a dvd or if you do you get sound and no picture or video and no sound, I have found that either a audio or video codec is out of date.
Being that you are having a problem even playing a dvd I think the autoplay seems to be turned off.

swish54

swish54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Flash used to show size on my system too...I have my speakers plugged into the green jack and they are set up for stereo, they work fine...I get all system sounds, I can download video and get sound when I play it back, I can play audio CDs....My DVD isn't recognized by RP although nthere is an option for CD/DVD and there is no option for DVD in WMP, but there used to be...I used to play DVDs on WMP instead of RP before...One of the things that is of concern is the message I get on the flash site when I go there that says Java Script must be enabled..I have Java but can't find anywhere to enable or disable it...Windows troubleshooter for DVD mentioned a decoder as possible problem.