Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD and Sound Problems

• Please log in to reply

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok, if you haven't run chkdsk, why don't you do that.
Go to Start>run... type in chkdsk /f , click OK

Since you're in Windows, you'll get a prompt which will ask if you want to run at next startup... just type "y", then restart your machine.

Dell's recovery disk is "normally" a full version XP install disk. This means if you put it in the CDrom, you will should the Windows Install Interface which will give you several options... such as Install Windows, Browe CD, etc. If chkdsk doesn't work, then you can try running sfc /scannow from the run command. You may need your Windows disk, so don't run it if you don't have it. Try chkdsk first to see if it helps.

If that doesn't help, send you computer to my house in California! :) Just kidding! You know you have to keep your sense of humor! :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this link
it has how to enable java script in FF or IE
also the diff OS's

http://enablejavascript.info/

swish54

swish54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
OK, first, thanks Ron, I checked Java and Javascript is enabled...I ran chkdsk and restarted but no change...I don't have my Windows disc so I'll need an address to send this thing to you makai...Just kidding , I'm able to keep my sense of humor because other than the sound and DVD problem this thing runs great...It's more responsive than it's ever been since doing a clean up and upgrading my RAM...Really appreciate the time you guys have put into this, hope we can keep working on it.

Steve

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Really appreciate the time you guys have put into this, hope we can keep working on it.

We'll stick it out for as long as it takes and I'm really sorry we couldn't find the answer sooner. I'm going hunting, so I'll be back!

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
When you double click on a wave file, what application opens to play it?

Can mediaplayer play any wave files you have on your computer?

Do you have sound on the internet for Quicktime video files?

Edited by makai, 21 March 2009 - 10:40 AM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Have you tried logging in on the Adminstrator account and trying youtube videos. Do they play with sound?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I reread the thread and it seems that the problem is playing video's if I'm correct? I'm sure Makai will agree with me when I say that adding memory shouldn't cause this problem. I'm inclined to believe that since you cannot view any video's online or on a dvd that you may need to download video codec. Mpeg3 or 4. Makai is it possible that something got corrupt just by coincidence with the new memory?
I'm investigating on my side also. I'm wondering if reinstalling Rp would work? I would completely uninstall Real Player and start with the newest one. That way no old versions left on your system.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I reread the thread and it seems that the problem is playing video's if I'm correct?

No, the problem is not that videos won't play... it's that videos will play, but without sound... and only while on the internet. Vids play fine stand-alone on the computer if downloaded.

I highly doubt its a ram problem. I can't see any reason for ram to cause a sound problem only on the internet.

It could be a codec problem, but again only on the internet?

Try downloading Sherlock and run it. If you have any missing or broken codecs, Sherlock will let you know. I don't believe Sherlock will scan for Flash related codecs, but perhaps if some other codec were broken on your system, it might be messing something up with Flash.

I don't use (actually, refuse to use) Realplayer. I don't like apps that are invasive. With most websites using flash nowadays, RP content is not that common... although, some sites still use RP. If you reinstall RP, don't allow it to take over all your media associations. If you want to use it for some things, set those associations manually. Also, there may be something in RP to reinstate default Windows associations, so if you uninstall, be sure do this first.

Edited by makai, 21 March 2009 - 12:06 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Does your Soundmax audio have a separate control panel entry? Basically, I'm asking if you're able to change options for Soundmax sound card. If so, try to see if anything is set to 96khz... and change it to 44khz, or 48khz. Be sure your browser is closed, then relaunch and try youtube again.

swish54

swish54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Answers to your questions: When I dbl clk on a wave file usually RP plays it but sometimes Musikmatch jukebox depending on the file...RP will play audio & video.
WMP will only play audio, no DVD option.
I have no sound on the internet for any videos.
I always log in on the adminstrater account.I didn't uninstall RP but I did download RP Gold...It works better than the old RP.
I ran Sherlock and have a list of video codecs installed but it's pretty long, 40 of them.Attached File  Codecs.txt   27.35KB   50 downloads

I'll work on sound max audio, I think there are options.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I always log in on the adminstrater account.

Normally when an XP machine is set up, there is an Admistrator account which is a separate account, and then there are "user" accounts. The User accounts can be at Admin level, but they are not the Administrator account. Now, this is not to say that somehow Dell has set your computer up differently, but this is the "norm". If you user name is anything other than "Administrator", then you are not logging in on the Administrator account.

Go to Start menu and log off of your account. At the login window, hit ctrl+alt+delete twice... this will bring up a log on window. Type in Administrator, and a password, if one is set up. If no password was set, then leave the password blank, and log in.

Try youtube videos to see if sound works.

Edited by makai, 21 March 2009 - 03:50 PM.

swish54

swish54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Tried logging on as Administrator, don't have password...When I log on without password I get message "unable to log on due to account restrictions"...When I log off and hit ctrl+alt+delete and logon screen comes up my original name is in the user box, actually it is my wife's name, her computer she bought new but doesn't remember what original password was....This brings up another problem I've had recently...When I click tools in IE, internet options, I get a message unable to use this option refer to account administrator...Something else that we didn't have before these other problems occured.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Tried logging on as Administrator, don't have password...When I log on without password I get message "unable to log on due to account restrictions"

Are you running XP Pro, or XP Home? This isn't the XP Pro message I see on my machines if the password is wrong.

When I log off and hit ctrl+alt+delete and logon screen comes up my original name is in the user box, actually it is my wife's name, her computer she bought new but doesn't remember what original password was

I'm a bit confused. When you log off, its normal for the logon screen to come up with the users name in the box. But, what password are you referring to... your wifes, or Administrator.

If you go to C:\Document and Settings, do you see an Administrator account there? Is it Admin, or Administrator? What other accounts are there that appear to be an Admin account. Try logging onto that if it exists.

I'm trying to find out if the present user account is the only thing damaged. If you can log onto the Admin account and youtube plays fine, then its just the user account and not the entire computer. If its just the current user account, then you may be able to just create a new user account and transfer your data from the current user, and then delete the damaged account.

This brings up another problem I've had recently...When I click tools in IE, internet options, I get a message unable to use this option refer to account administrator...Something else that we didn't have before these other problems occured.

Can you open Internet Options from Control Panel?

swish54

swish54

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I'm running XP Home

In c:\Documents and Settings the only folders are...All Users, Lisa, Steve, & Guest...Lisa and Steve are set as administrator accounts...There is no account labeled Administrator...I tried opening another administrator account, that's why the account for Steve is there...Lisa was the only administrator account...Didn't work, we have the same options with either account.

I can open internet options and use it from control panel, just not from IE.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I think there's more going on than just your internet sound problem, IE, and the DVDRom. When the Dell was puchased, along with all the documention, there should have been at least two discs that came with it... A Recovery disc that housed XP, and a Drivers disc with all the drivers. You may need to find those discs so you can do a repair, or at least run sfc /scannow. Without at least running some kind of maintenance routine to check the OS, I don't know what direction to take except guessing. Do you know anyone that might have a set of Dell XP Home discs you can borrow? It shouldn't matter if its a different computer model, as long as its Dell XP Home.

Other than that, how far does your System Restore go back? You might try restoring to like a month before all this happened. I'm really at a loss here because all the "make sense" remedies have gotten us nowhere. Find the discs if you can.

Edited by makai, 21 March 2009 - 07:22 PM.