Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

It always goes to the same account

• Please log in to reply

Frustrated???

Frustrated???

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have 4 users on our home computer running windows vista. When anyone loges off it will go to a welcome screen with all 4 names on it. After 15 minutes it will go into standby mode. The problem is when you wake it up it is logged on to the a users account. (It always goes to the same account) Why does windows log on to a users account when it goes to standby and how to stop it. :)

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Frustrated???,

Hello and welcome to GeeksToGo. When windows goes into standby it saves it state into RAM. Part of this state is the current user the system is logged into along with all programs that are currently open.

I have not tested this but it should work I plan on testing this when I get to a Vista System.. To have the system go to the welcome screen on resume. Right click anywhere on the desktop to where there is not a icon and click on personalize. Then click on screen saver settings. Then put a check mark by on resume, display login screen.

Frustrated???

Frustrated???

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
If some one is logged on and it goes in standby it will return to that same account and programs when you wake it up. The only time it doesn’t is when it is on the welcome screen. If you log off or switch users the welcome screen with all 4 users and there icons are up, then After 15 minutes it will go into standby mode. When you wake it up it is then logged on to the a users account. It always goes to the same account. I just tried to put a password on that users account (it is a home computer so we never needed to use passwords) and it still goes to that account but it ask for the password. You still need to log off that account to get to the welcome screen to log on to one of the other account.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Frustrated???,

I was just able to test this on a Vista system. When the system wakes up from standby it should go to a screen that has the user account asking for a password underneath it it should have switch user. If you click on that you should have access to all the users.

Frustrated???

Frustrated???

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It used to stay on the welcome screen or whatever screen it was on when it went to hibernate mode but now when it is on the welcome screen when it goes to hibernate mode it wakes up on a users account. So how do I get it to automatically go to a different user when it goes to hibernate mode?