Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard Drives & IDE Controller Cards!

• Please log in to reply

tragedy

tragedy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey,

I just went out to get a new hard drive because my current Primary Slave drive corrupted and is completely inaccessible. I bought a 60 GB MAXTOR HARD DRIVE, 7200 RPM and my intention with it is to make it my Pri Master drive and make my current C Drive my slave drive. When I told the salesman my computer was roughly 7 years old (custom built), he advised me to buy the "ULTRA ATA IDE CONTROLLER CARD" because he believed that my current one would not be able to handle a 60GB hard drive.

My questions are:
1. How can I know if I really do need a new IDE Controller Card for my new Hard Drive? Is my current one sufficient? The stats for my current IDE drive (IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers) are:
Primary IDE Channel:
Type: IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
Manufacturer: (Standard IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers)

Secondary IDE Channel:
Manufacturer: (Standard IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers)

VIA Bus Master IDE Controller:
Manufacturer: VIA Technologies, Inc.

I don't know if that information helps at all, if you need more please ask.

2. How do I go about changing my Pri Slave drive to my Pri Master drive and adding a new Pri Master drive? (Something about jumpers?)

Thank you,
Jennifer.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi
The only reason you system wouldn't be able to handle that drive, is if it has a drive capacity limit in the bios of under 60GB. It may also be a problem if the system doesn't support data transfer above ATA33.

If the bios capacity limitation is the only issue, then you can normally use drive overlay software to overcome this. The data transfer issue, if it is a problem, cannot be overcome other than by installing a controller card.

To know for sure, I need to know exactly what motherboard you have.
Download Aida32 from the link below :

http://majorgeeks.com/download183.html

Unzip it & run the aida32.exe file. When the program opens, select the Motherboard option in the left pane to expand it, then select motherboard suboption. It will give you all the info you need.

Let me know what the motherboard make & model number is.
Also, if you click on the Bios option in the left pane, you should see the system bios date and/or version number. Let me know what this is as well.