Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Compaq continually restarting

• Please log in to reply

Calipepe

Calipepe

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
It is like it is in a loop. I turn on the computer, the Windows XP black screen comes up and then the screen goes black and says that the monitor is going to sleep, and the computer shut down. After a few seconds it turns back on again and just keeps on repeating. It effects safe mode with networking, but not safe mode. The pc is virtually useless. Thoughts? I thought power supply, but it wouldn't make sense is safe mode worked.

Gary

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
While in Safe Mode...

Go Start>Run (Start Search in Vista), type in:
msconfig
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).

Click on Startup tab.
Click Disable all

Click Services tab.
Put checkmark in Hide all Microsoft services
Click Disable all.

Click OK.
Restart computer in Normal Mode.

NOTE. If you use different firewall, than Windows firewall, turn Windows firewall on, just for this test, since your regular firewall won't be running.
If you use Windows firewall, you're fine.

Calipepe

Calipepe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok, I tried that and it did not work. Other things I noticed were just before it says the monitor is going to sleep, the num lock light goes out on the keyboard. I was not able to turn on windows firewall.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
This

I was not able to turn on windows firewall.

may be important info.
What happened?