Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Server 2008 and FTP

• Please log in to reply

Boxybrown

Boxybrown

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Alright guys I'm back with a new question!

I am trying to set up file sharing so i can access my server from anywhere. I have installed the roles for web server/file server/ Active Directory. I also went to no-ip.com and paid to use their static ip/server. I thought I set up my file sharing in the web server role, but everytime I go to my site..which is my-war-room.com it just takes me to a windows IIS7 screen, and I cant figure out how to get to my files. Please help, I can not figure this out and google wasnt much help.
I'm sure its just cause I'm a novice and know very little about setting up servers and things, but I really need some direction.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
just as a question....if you know very little about setting up servers and things...where'd you get server 2008? and the server?

Boxybrown

Boxybrown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I am currently in school studying for my Network+ exam and there is no better way to learn than to jump into it. The windows 2008 I bought at school and the server isn't a real server it's just my wife's computer she doesn't use.

Knowing that, how will this help with a solution?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

Knowing that, how will this help with a solution?

it will help you get a solution from someone because now it sounds like you've got a legal OS....where as before i had my doubts (it's rare that someone has 2008 at home since it's not exactly cheap)

Boxybrown

Boxybrown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Fair enough. Any advice?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
maybe....but we need to know exactly what you have already done...what exactly you're trying to do.......how your server connects to the internet... and how your network is setup

Boxybrown

Boxybrown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Ok here's the goal. I want a setup where I ( and my friends and family) can go to a website and view allthe contents of my server for pictures, movies, etc. So far I've eatablised the roles for active directory domain controller, file services and web services. Now, I've got it set up pretty well ok my own just tinkering around. I have a site set up at my-war-room.com and it authenticated the users I've set up and everything works well for the site. My next goal is the FTP site. When I first set it up I could go to FTP://my-war-room.com and see like windows explored style menus. Now it times out and nothing has changed much that I can find. How do I set up the FTP site with authentication.