Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Denied permission to delete a folder!?

• Please log in to reply

Ahimsa

Ahimsa

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
When I try to delete an application folder (Lavasoft) from Programs on the C-drive, some files remain and I get the message:

"Destination Folder Access Denied." "You need permission to perform this action." I am the administrator and sole user of my computer. How do I get "permission"? (Note: None of the uninstall options have worked, which is why I want to delete the files directly.)

Thank you very much.
Pat

Advertisements

mintchip

mintchip

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
This should work:
http://support.micro...kb/308421/en-us

Ahimsa

Ahimsa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thank you. Your instructions would have been perfect based on my GTG profile, which said I was using XP. I'm actually using my other computer running VIsta, so I pulled up the corresponding instructions for that operating system. Unfortunately I've forgotten DOS so I don't remember how to change directories or convert "Program Files" to its 8-character DOS name. I think I have a bigger problem though. Even if I'm able to delete the application folder (Lavasoft) containing the program (Ad-Aware) files, I'll still have registry entries that will likely be incorrect because I wasn't able to do a proper uninstall.

Pat

mintchip

mintchip

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Pat, here are a few ideas, although I'm definitely not an expert. Have you tried deleting the files within the folder individually before trying to delete the folder? Have you tried right-clicking the file/folder and going to the security tab, then resetting the permissions? You should also make sure you attempt to do all the deleting in safe mode. After trying that, there are futher things you can do, but I would start with those, if you haven't already tried them.

As for removing all leftovers, you can ask for assistance on the Lavasoft forums. They should be able to help you clean out the remaining remnants of Ad-Aware.
http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/

Edited by mintchip, 12 March 2009 - 08:45 PM.

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
And of course, if none of that works, I believe that the malware staff come across files and folders that are stubborn like this frequently. :)

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Forgot to mention! There's also a nice guide on deleting things that can be found HERE.

Credit goes to Johanna! :)