Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card

• Please log in to reply

kisuke47

kisuke47

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi i have a pcv-rz22g sony vaio with a NVidia GeForce4 MX 440 i want to install a PNY GeForce 6200 256MB AGP 8x/4xw in it so i can play games with shader 2.0 what i want to know is will the new card fit in my computer thanks for the help.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi kisuke47, Welcome to Geeks to Go!

Is this the card you are talking about? PNY GeForce 6200 (Click Here) Or, same specifications at least?

Yes it will work. Keep in mind, it suggests and so do I, that you have at least a 300 Watt Power Supply. Do you know the wattage of your power supply? You might be able to find it on the back of your tower towards the top, where the power cord connects.

Also, have you bought the card yet? What price range are you looking in?

How much Ram do you have? Go to Start >> Right click on My Computer >> Select Properties >> Look towards the bottom at "computer" and it will tell you how much RAM you have.

Ram is also a big help when playing games. I believe your motherboard supports 1gb and your computer comes with 512mb, but check to see what you have.

Let me know

Edited by Ferrari, 12 March 2009 - 11:18 PM.

kisuke47

kisuke47

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the help Ferrari i looked at my power supply and it is 295 watts so would that be enough or do i need a bigger one also the card says it needs an AGP 2.0 or higher compliant motherboard is the motherboard in a pvc-rz22g 2.0? my computer also has 1 gb of ram.

Edited by kisuke47, 13 March 2009 - 12:50 AM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi kisuke47,

Yes, your AGP slot on your motherboard is 2.0 (aka AGP 4X). However 3.0 is the highest/best,your board will support AGP 8X (aka AGP 3.0).

So when looking for a card it should be AGP 4x/8x.

Since your power supply is what probably came with the computer I would say you are right on the border line. Iffy.

Are you buying this card online? Have your already bought it? I think there are better cards out there depending on the price you are willing to pay, but remember, you will probably need to upgrade your power supply too then.

What is your system specs? It can be found in the same place you found the RAM specifications.

Edited by Ferrari, 13 March 2009 - 01:24 AM.