Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cool web, Please Help!

• Please log in to reply

Sean27

Sean27

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,

Im 15 years old and pretty inclined toward computers, recently my pc has been infected with malware bearing the name CoolWeb

I dont know if anyone has head of it, but ive tried EVERYTHING to clean it up, ad-aware detects it, but does not remove it :tazz:

If theres any way possible to remove this threat, the help would be much apprecaited

Thanks ;)

sean

Advertisements

MR0624

MR0624

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
If i'm not mistaken you're refering to CoolWebSearch. Go to http://www.spywaregu...show.php?id=599 for more info. According to them x-cleaner and RegBlock will catch it. If these tools don't work you will have to manually remove it. If you don't have experience with registry this can be extremely hard. I'm not personally too experienced but I found this article that might help: http://www.smartcomp...eID=25526&guid=
That's last resort. If you have to do that make sure you backup all of your files first. Plus create a system restore point. If possible then it might be a good idea to do a system restore first before trying manual removal. Good luck!!

MR0624

Sean27

Sean27

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks!

I'll be sure to check into that, thanks for your help, i'll let ya know how it goes!
sean

MR0624

MR0624

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
no problem....

don77

don77

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 18,526 posts
Hi Sean27 and welcome to Geeks to go,
Might be a better idea

Please run through the steps outlined in this Topic
Post back a fresh log when done please

John_Doe

John_Doe

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
**Edited by an Administrator. This is NOT a great tool. It only *partially* removes the specific infection, which you do not even know if this user has. And, it also leaves behind DIFFERENT types of problems. WHY would anyone trust a "removal tool" from the company who infected them without their permission to begin with? I will never understand that.

Please do NOT post the link, or make any reference of, that so called "tool" again.

Edited by ~Kat~, 11 May 2005 - 01:17 AM.