Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My online history seems to have disappeared on my Win XP, Firefox sys

Windows Xp History

• Please log in to reply

dowsp

dowsp

• PipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Hi,

I wonder if anyone could advise me.

Although I am aware of various peoples views on Win XP. I am aware of its vulnerablities.

Having used it for some time now, and have had some past issues...

But overall , I have been able to use it ok for basic general browsing the Internet without too many problems..

But this weeks for the 1st time that I can recall ... I seem to have an issue with my Online History having seemed to have disappeared or that it has stopped recording it..

This is not just a one off , as I have switched the computer on and off or restarted it a few times..

and the history options have not worked as they should.

AS FAR as I RECALL OR AM AWARE... I have NEVER deleted my URL history..

unless of recent times I accidentally clicked on something that I should not have..

BUT often to delete something there can be a two part of the process.. to fully confirm you intend to definately remove or delete something ...

On selection Firefoxs 3 bar option  shown in the top right corner, when I click on it...

___
___
___

there is options to select "History" or "Options".

IF I select History option.. I can then opt for the option the SHOW or View History SIDE bar... that then shows the full details of each past  months History internet URL in  folders.

In the past until this week.... when I click on each months last few  months folders..

There are options listed

Today, Yesterday, Last 7 days , This Month, then March Feb , January, Then the 2023 folders such as Dec 2023etc

then older than 6 months.

At the Left side of each option folder... there used to all show a Small Square box with a + PLUS sign in it

when when you click opens the folder to view the URL history for each specific history period.

BUT FOR SOME REASON...  The Plus sign boxes are missing on Yesterdays box and Februarys.

BUT all the option folders do show the PLUS sign  [ + ] 

Above those folders is a History  search bar and there is a VIEW box selction  on the right of the seach box .

if you click on the View Box.you can select by SITE or by DATE or Most Visited. or last visted

and at the top of the list is bt SITE and DATE,

IF I select by Site...EARLIER ON I COULD SEE. ALL the   BOXES showing the plus signs.  BUT when you click on each BOX...there are NO URLS shown in each of them...

(WHEN I TRIED LATER TO CLICK ON THAT BY SITE OPTIONS AGAIN AFTER ALL THE OTHER OPTIONS that I refer

to below..  that Option stopped showing any Folders at all for some unknown reason.

BUT when shown by date only ... that misses out the two that I described... ie yesterday and Feb.

WHEN I CLICK ON OPTIONS FOR LAST or MOST VISITED ...

THEY DO SHOW the URLS....

SO I am NOT sure why when I select VIEW BY DATE... that two options do not show any Plus [+] box

or any URLs in any of the folders.

and AFTER I had checked all the options and then retried to select "BY SITE"  only...

that that later did not show any folders at all... they had all disappeared.

I DO HAVE enough disc space at least when I last  checked  of a few gbs..so its not like the disc is near its disc space  limit....

Other than it being some software of tech fault or that IT MAY BE THATI HAVE BEEN Hacked and someone messing with my system...and obtaining my history.

Then I am NOT sure what is going on.

I wonder if anyone who still has some faith with WIN XP may be able to offer any suggestions as to what may have happened ?

IF I select OPTIONS.... I can select to look at or remove history or tempory files , cache etc .

I often do regular browsing and cache and temporary internet file removals in which I have to select the Firefox Browser History option.

Selecting :  Options , Privacy, History, then selecting,  Clear recent History...

In which I have always just selected the select and click on clear the Cache.

I can select START shown on the low left bar on ones screen and then select Run and insert and then click Ok to delete the DNS.

ipconfig /flushdns

==============================

Operating and Browser Systems info:

Windows XP

Home Edition

Version 2002

Service Pack 3

AMD  Turion 64 Mobile

Browser :

Firefox  ESR  version

52.9.0  ( 32 Bit )

Can I ask... in ref to tell if my Computer Chip or Software is 64 or 32 Bit

Is that Just in relation to the Chip ? or and also certain software !

I am Not sure how to check unless

On trying to check for what BIT relates to my system.

I maybe a bit confused parden the pun.

As there a ref when I check my Windows XP version and details.

by going into control panel, then selecting systems , General.

Its shows Windows XP information.

It does NOT make it obvious to me what BIT option it maybe in terms of spelling it out

with full specific clarity.

IT mentions the AMD chip and mentions 64 Mobile...   BUT does that mean its therefore  64 BIT ?

BUT when I look at details for Firefox Browser. ... that refers to 32 BIT...

This link shows how to search various Windows Op systems to check for if its 32  or 64 bit.

I had to schroll down a bit to find Windows XP option...

and then It did NOT make obvious in the first part of the description..as it seemed to ref to Professional versions

but there is a ref to the Windows XP home version in a small box below the photo image that is shown.

There are no 64-bit versions of Windows XP Home or Windows XP Media Center Edition. If you have either of these editions of Windows XP, you're running a 32-bit operating system.

https://www.lifewire...windows-2624475

64 ot 32 BIT

• 32-bit processors are older, slower, and less secure, while 64-bit processors are newer, faster, and more secure.
  • 64-bit systems handle large amounts of random access memory or RAM more effectively than 32-bit systems.
  • 32-bit hardware and software systems work with data in 32-bit pieces, while 64-bit hardware and software systems use data in 64-bit pieces.
  • A 64-bit processor should generally run a 64-bit version of Windows, although it can run a 32-bit version just fine. A 32-bit processor, however, can only run a 32-bit version of Windows.

PS

To obtain my Internet usage I use a Iphones personal HOT spot and a Wireless Network adaptor..

A few weeks ago I had a problem with my iphone as it was full to capacity and I was unable to remove the photos

as there was not enough free disc space and I took it to a mobile shop and asked if they could help remove some photo files and tanfer some to a external Hard drive I gave them...which they did start to try to do for me... but it ended up taking longer than expected and it was towards the last hours open time and I wanted my phone back so they had to cancel the data transfer...

where they said they had to inially take a back up copy .

They did not make it clear if they had actually removed any files.. but they had NOT copied any to my ext HardDrive

and the told me to go back nd to allow them more time to do the process.

When I got home and looked the phone.. I could see 178 MBs had been removed...when prior there was only 8 mbs free space on a 16 GB phone...

When I tried connecting to the internet later... That did allow the hotspot to work ok.

and for the first week or two I could see ALL my History ok on my laptop computer..

which is the one I refer to with my problem wich uses Win XP./ FF.

whether or not the may had done anything to the I phone that may monior my internet use somehow..

that MAY be possible I would think and may explain my problem...I WOULD this was NOT the case.

but its the only thing that I can think off...at least for now that be the cause of my problem... unless someone else has since hacked my system.

The only other I had done recently was to change to another Mobile phone network privider also in the last month.

but things had been Ok for the initial 3 to 4 weeks when I started using their service.

Edited by dowsp, Today, 02:00 AM.

Advertisements