Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost Outlook Express

• Please log in to reply

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
I was having problems with OE, so I uninstalled it using Remove Outlook Express. But this program is supposed to reinstall it. It won't. I did save my email from OE before I removed it. Is there an email program that functions locally as OE did--i.e., not having to go online to send/receive. Not Thunderbird I think because I've tried it and it was incredibly complex. As I recall it automatically imported all messages from OE, but there were duplicates--i.e., a kind of having two OE's. However, I shall try it again since OE has been uninstalled. Perhaps it will allow me to import my messages manually.

Thinking that OE comes with IE, I downloaded IE, version 8. Well, it didn't install OE. Yet under Tools>Internet Options>Programs it lists E-mail: Outlook Express. I've done a search of my computer for the
*.WAB
file and there isn't one. I not sure that's a file I should be looking for or not.

Hope to hear about something from here. Meanwhile I will try Thunderbird again.

Thank you for your attention on this matter.

I will receive answers in OE on another computer.

Edited by Robert Tracy, 13 March 2009 - 10:12 AM.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Outlook Express and Internet Explorer are closely tied together in Windows XP, and we generally don't advise people to try to uninstall either one. Your mail store from OE will be found (if still present) as .dbx files. The wab is "Windows Address Book". Do you have your original XP disk? You may need it to fix any damage to critical system files from when you attempted to remove OE. Also, OE does need to be online to send and receive mail.
Johanna

Robert Tracy

Robert Tracy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Johanna,

I did backup my messages as .dbx files in order to import them back into OE. But OE is gone. I don't see how to get it back. I don't have a XP disk because it was pre-installed on the computer.

I'm trying out Eudora for now. I'm getting error messages that I've sent to my server as a question. I may as well post them here too:

Sent a couple of test messages that remain in my Out box with this error:

<Dominant>, 2 messages left to send., RCPT TO:<[email protected]> [02:24:54 PM]
There has been an error transferring your mail.  I said:	  RCPT TO:<[email protected]>	 and then the SMTP server (mail.tracyfineart.com) said:	 451 http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=98.223.151.81

Do you have any idea how I can fix this so that I can send. Then I'll see if I can receive. If not, I'll write back to you.

Thank you Johanna for seeing this problem and offering advise and knowledge.

Robert