Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

admin login issue

• Please log in to reply

fredette1

fredette1

• Pip
  • 8 posts
When I log into xp home, it says "loading your personal settings" and the logging off real quick. I am setup as an admin but can't get in for some reason. I ran a clean up utility by wincleaner prior to having this problem. Could it have wipped out my user files? I can't login as a guest either. Any help?

Advertisements

nestorey

nestorey

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
have you tried starting in safe mode (F8 on start-up) ? if yu do and still can't loggon then you can always try a system restore. i've never done one so i can't help you mucch with the how to on that.

fredette1

fredette1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I tried starting in safe mode and get the same result. I also tried starting last known good configuration and that didn't seem to work either. Any other idea's or places to check?

nestorey

nestorey

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
do you have your xp install cd? if you do get into your bios and set the boot priority so that the cd-romis first in line...(let me know if you need help on how to work the bios). usethe boot from CD option and then the start-up using cd option once the install screen comes up. see what happens...

fredette1

fredette1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I don't have it. The computer I'm working on is not my its a friends. I was doing some cleanup work, they had a ton of viruses and other nasty files that caused a whole lot performance problems for them. Any other options you can think of?

nestorey

nestorey

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
hmmm...it could be any number of things if you say you were doing a lot of cleaning...could be that the registry is corrupted in such a way that it is not recognizing some of the boot commands...probably the HD still has most of the files on it they just can't be accessed...you really should try to hunt down a install/repair cd for xp and run it. is there anyone you know who might have an install cd for XP home? that''s about the best i can do for you. if you can't get one i suggest you repost your question being that there's already about five or six posts on this one and sometimes people will overlook questions thinking they've been addressed. Good Luck,

fredette1

fredette1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
thanks for your help. I will try to hunt down a disk and repost the question.