Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop not detecting network card/adapter.

• Please log in to reply

aces77

aces77

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I woke up yesterday morning and suddenly my laptop will not pick up my (or any) routers. The blue light on the front of it will not come on, even though the switch is set to on. When I click "Diagnose why windows can't find any networks", I get the message "this computer does not have a wireless network adapter installed". Well it was working 24 hours ago.

I've restored my laptop to its factory shipped condition and updated it from hp update and windows update, but it still does not work. I cant even open the hp wireless assistant from control panel, when I click on it, nothing happens!

The laptop is a HP G6000, I have 2 of them and the other is working fine. Under the network tree in device manager, the working laptop looks like this >>

Posted Image

And the one that is not working looks like this >>

Posted Image

As you can see, the WLAN thing that I need, is not there. I have no idea why my laptop would suddenly do this. I've been looking for a solution all day and found nothing. From reading some stuff on the hp site it looks as though ALL of my wireless devices are turned off. apparently they get turned on at the factory and they should not turn off. I have no idea how to turn them back on if my computer is not even picking them up. Even the hp wireless assistant will not open!

I dont think there is a problem with my modem or router because my pc, other laptop and ps3 are all connected to the internet just fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey aces77,

Have you checked in your BIOS to see if your network adapter has been switched off? How to enter the BIOS or CMOS setup. That would be the first place I'd look if it's not showing up in your Device Manager.

If you have any questions/concerns, please let us know.
- Dan

aces77

aces77

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hey aces77,

Have you checked in your BIOS to see if your network adapter has been switched off? How to enter the BIOS or CMOS setup. That would be the first place I'd look if it's not showing up in your Device Manager.

If you have any questions/concerns, please let us know.
- Dan

Yes, in the bios my adapter is enabled.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
It's possible that either your network adapter is loose in it's seating, or it has simply died on you. However, please try the following steps.

Step 1 - Connectivity test:
  • Select Start
  • In the Start Search field type cmd -- right-click on the cmd program and choose Run as administrator
  • In the new command prompt window, please type the following commands (*Note: each ping will take approximately 10 seconds to complete; wait for the command prompt to return before you type the next one. Also, the single '>' and double '>>' are intentional; please type the commands exactly as they appear):
    • ipconfig /all > C:\results.txt
    • route print >> C:\results.txt
    • ping 127.0.0.1 >> C:\results.txt
    • ping google.com >> C:\results.txt
    • ping 209.85.171.100 >> C:\results.txt
  • Once the above commands have completed, navigate to your C: drive and open the text file results.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.
Step 2 - Event Log/Viewer errors/warnings:
  • Select Start
  • In the Start Search field type eventvwr and press the ENTER key
  • In the new window, expand Windows Logs and then select System -- this will display a list of all system events. Look for any errors and/or warnings (denoted by a red 'x' or a yellow '!'). If you find any, please post the relevant heading, along with the details inside by double clicking on the error/warning, and then copy/pasting the information from within.
    *Note: You'll mainly be looking for DHCP and TCP/IP errors/warnings -- however, any and all errors/warnings may be relevant.
Step 3 - Export your Interface list:
  • Press Start
  • Select Run
  • In the Run window, please copy/paste the text in the CODE box and then press OK:
regedit /e C:\export.txt HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces
Navigate to your C: drive and open the text file export.txt -- please copy/paste the contents of this file into your next response.

Edited by Dan, 15 March 2009 - 04:05 AM.

bobman_420

bobman_420

• Pip
  • 8 posts
edit

ops, wrong topic :)

Edited by bobman_420, 12 April 2009 - 12:25 AM.

smith134

smith134

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Run Astra32 Advanced System Information Tool. It will gives you all hardware information.
You can download here:
http://www.astra32.com/