Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Only thing showing on desktop is background...nothing else, PLEASE HEL

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

pbielling

pbielling

• Pip
  • 2 posts
About a week ago I was trying to download drivers for my HP printer/scanner. I tried the HP site, but the file would not work for some reason. I found a driver update that looked safe enough on a webpage and downloaded it. As soon as I tried to instal the screen went black. After turning pc back on an ad kept coming up saying that I had a virus/spyware and needed to buy their program. I'm aware of people using this scam so I just kept Xing out of it.
I then came to this site to see if anyone else had this problem, and I saw that they have. I downloaded several different anti-spyware/anti-virus programs to resolve the problem with no results... The final one I tried was a temp kaspersky program that said to be ran in safe mode. I did this and supposedly all of the problems were corrected. After I rebooted the only thing that would show up was the background picture of the desktop. I also tried booting in safe mode and all that I got is a black screen that said safe mode on the top and bottom with no icons, start menu, etc... The only thing that I can do is access the task manager. I'm having to use a friend's pc to write this because I cannot access the internet on mine. If anyone can help at all I would really appreciate it. I'm in desperate need of a computer and no money for a new one :) Thanks a lot in advance

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.