Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Stuff that I think is Cool!

• Please log in to reply

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Hi everyone,

I have stumbled across some pretty cool things while on the web, this has to be among the top 5 of all time for me.

Check out Thermaltakes Level 10 Case. Awesome to say the least, overboard?

Let me know what you think, and feel free to add things that are new out there that some of us may not know about just yet.

EDIT: Have to check the TOU to see if I can post the second thing.

Edited by Ferrari, 13 March 2009 - 05:11 PM.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
I like the picture that says No Photo.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I know, the brief article implies they had to sneak the shot LOL.

Here is the other thing I wanted to post, 360 Degree Desktop. It is like having dual monitors but with only one monitor is the best way I can explain it. You can completely use a 360 degree angle to have windows open on your desktop, and more features.

However, it seems that to have a "widget" link you to your favorite website, Internet Explorer must be used, and that is not my choice of browser. I have Firefox set as my default, but it doesn't seem to matter.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Ferrari,

It is a shame what some journalists do to get a tech story though. They could have got in a lot of trouble for that.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
You know, now that I think about it. When I googled that case, almost all...well maybe all the pictures were the same, except there were a couple that looked like it was from a planned photo shoot. So, not only did someone take a photo when they weren't supposed to, but I think they sold it to other sites too. :)

I'm sure Thermaltake just hates the publicity :)

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts

I'm sure Thermaltake just hates the publicity :)

I don't think it is the publicity that Thermaltake is afraid of. It is the competition aka copycats.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Oh IC. Yeah, that sort of thing is not good at all.

I found some other pics while I was surfing, one provided a much better view how big it actually is. I thought the thing was like 8 feet tall. It is actually just like 3 feet or so, still hard to tell. I was a little dissappointed after that. I was under the impression that it would fill a wall in your computer room quite nicely. :)

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Wanted to ad something more,

I was thinking along the lines of it being HUGE. I instantly had ideas of it possibly being big enough to actually fit 2 desktops computer parts and a server of some sort in it. That's just a rough sketch/idea.

Do they make compartments like that? I think it would be cool to have something similar to that but bigger, to where you can have 2 computers and a server all in one. Maybe throw in a nice little docking station/desk/shelf for the laptop. Then have it up against a wall, or just placed in a HOME computer room/office somehow that fits nice.

I'm not necessarily saying that average size home, but maybe something more upper middle class- a good size room/office. Possibly a business of some sort.

Boy I like to dream! :)

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

Ferrari,

It is a shame what some journalists do to get a tech story though. They could have got in a lot of trouble for that.

Calling anyone who works for The Inquirer a journalist is an offense to any real journalist.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Wanted to ad something more,

I was thinking along the lines of it being HUGE. I instantly had ideas of it possibly being big enough to actually fit 2 desktops computer parts and a server of some sort in it. That's just a rough sketch/idea.

Do they make compartments like that? I think it would be cool to have something similar to that but bigger, to where you can have 2 computers and a server all in one. Maybe throw in a nice little docking station/desk/shelf for the laptop. Then have it up against a wall, or just placed in a HOME computer room/office somehow that fits nice.

I'm not necessarily saying that average size home, but maybe something more upper middle class- a good size room/office. Possibly a business of some sort.

Boy I like to dream! :)

that would be easy to build on your own....or just have all the parts naked (no cases...just bare parts)...the hardest part would be finding the proper cables in the proper lengths....THOUGH if you know how to solder and such....you can make your own cables pretty quickly...if you wanted to get really squirrely you could even make all the "pods" hot swappable...just pull the HDs off whenever you want and swap them out or move them around....

i've been wanting to make a "wall art" pc for a while now...just haven't had the time (or extra hardware in case i break something)....

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
dsenette,

Yeah, I would think with a little imagination doing something like that would be rather easy really, just time consuming. I only have one friend that is into computers and he has like 33 years experience in them. He is some sort of big wig independent computer consultant for large corporations or something, I never have asked too many details.(kind of a new friend). Apparently, he was working with the internet and "writing packets" back in the 70's for the government. I don't even know what that means LOL. One day he was talking about spaghetti writing or programming or something, I just kept saying "oh yeah" and "cool" "I understand", but I didn't :)

Anyway, this is part of an email I sent him about some idea I was having for a computer room when I own a house someday.

Though it is very far down the road, I would absolutely love to have a job or business designing cases, heatsinks, the look of video cards, etc. I mean, I really want to be able to fix computers and all, but I like doing that design sort of stuff with car stereos, home décor, fashion, etc. I really like design/engineering/fabrication. One example would be not just mounting a flat panel to the wall, but mount it to a custom wood frame IN the wall, and have it fairly flush with the drywall. Another example is for when I have my own computer room in a house, I am already thinking about having approximately 4 functioning CLEAR computer cases with the sides left off and mounted directly next to one another on a wall. Maybe some non functioning ones too. All interior parts would match in size and color, but be different parts. All wires would be hidden/inside walls. Possibly have the computers connected with a kvm switch of some sorts. On another wall have a projection screen drop down from the ceiling to watch movies in big screen. The wall across from the computers mounted to the wall would have a small counter top for a keyboard and mouse with a 32” monitor for the computer screen, or possibly like two 20” monitors again mounted to the wall, no actual desk. ETC ETC. I love to dream, and I often find myself imagining how I would design this kind of room. All wires would be hidden, the carpet would match the color of the interior parts of the computer, and don’t even get me started on the sound system, you get the point LOL. Is there such a thing as a computer room home décor engineer with emphasis in electronic device fabrication degree? Hahaha, I think I would be great at it. Seriously =) When I lived out of state and had a pretty good job, the first thing everyone would say when the walked into my apartment was “wow, you have a really nice place”. …black Italian leather furniture, flat panel lcd, glass topped furniture, unframed wall art, etc.

It took me 6 months to pick out my first “car payment” car. I really really take my time in finding what I like and everything, and without trying to exaggerate EVERYTHING must be exactly how I want it/need it to be. Color, function, wow factor, etc. Like with the computers, if I lose a screw and can’t find a matching one, they all get replaced with matching ones. I don’t think I’m anal, I just enjoy that sort of thing, design and cleanliness

Here is a current link to my first build topic. Here If you care to read up on what I'm trying to do with my first build.

Sorry for the long post,

Thanks,

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
all the things you mentioned there would take a day to do (after all the proper equipment was acquired of course)...not much major there....you could get pretty fancy with a lot of that stuff and do some really weird things

basically as long as you can fit the equipment into the place that you want...then you can do anything possible...and if you've got a little bit of soldering knowledge you can really modify things...

the biggest limitation that i see for doing EVERYTHING the way i want is that it's really hard to put a PCI or PCIE etc... card off-board since there's no real "adapter" to plug in remotely with wires into those ports (unless i just can't find it)...though...if you got creative and had some spare/junk parts and soldering skills you could desolder the PCI/PCIE header from the board and solder in some long wires in between and then put that header anywhere you want (of course this would increase the resistance in the line and could cause problems...but who knows till you try right?

check some of these out http://www.funnbee.i...01_archive.html i really like the microwave one

http://landofpics.bl...-mods-ever.html

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I have seen some of those cases LOL. I like more of the traditonal cases, but just maximized. Does that make since? I almost wish they sold giant video cards and giant motherboards, so I could make an entire 15 X 15 foot room one computer. That would be awesome! Like have one entire wall have your video card on, the other wall be a motherboard!!! :)

And I have tons and tons of soldering experience, but with copper water lines hahaha. (Family business is installing water heaters) I guess for computer parts its the same, just more of a micro scale, probably different torch and smaller solder sticks or whatever.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

And I have tons and tons of soldering experience, but with copper water lines hahaha. (Family business is installing water heaters) I guess for computer parts its the same, just more of a micro scale, probably different torch and smaller solder sticks or whatever.

hehe completely different...no torch...you'd use a soldering iron (with a very small tip and hopefully variable temperature)

I have seen some of those cases LOL. I like more of the traditonal cases, but just maximized. Does that make since? I almost wish they sold giant video cards and giant motherboards, so I could make an entire 15 X 15 foot room one computer. That would be awesome! Like have one entire wall have your video card on, the other wall be a motherboard!!!

kind of goes against the current business model...THOUGH you COULD make a "fake" giant video card that LOOKED just like the one in your PC

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

kind of goes against the current business model...THOUGH you COULD make a "fake" giant video card that LOOKED just like the one in your PC

See, now you just added days and days of research on top of my Geek U and current Build. Thanks, I appreciate it :) :)

That would be awesome!!! Everyone else is trying to go smaller, and I'm going bigger HAHA

I just had an idea, I wonder if you took a bunch of old like P3 mobos and mounted them all on a wall right next to one another, and then get some real cheap assortment of cards, or whatever-even ones that don't work and just fill up all the PCI and AGP slots with stuff. That would be kind of cool. [bleep], you could even paint the mobos what color you wanted, same with all the PCI or AGP cards. Just for appearance, not functioning.