Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

c:\WINDOWS\system32\dfrg.msc.

• Please log in to reply

DamionIllusionist

DamionIllusionist

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
first off my OS is windows xp home. now my problem is that when i try to d-frag my computer i get a message saying that the system 32 file does not exist or i don't have rights to it. I am the computer admin so i should have access to it. i have attached a picture of the error message that pops up. along with that i looked through the forum and the 2 topics i saw like this didn't help me. i already tried to do what these 2 topics say to do and i have not had any luck with fixing the problem. thank you in advance for helping me

http://www.geekstogo...g...ml&hl=dfrag

http://www.geekstogo...p...ml&hl=dfrag

Posted Image

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Go to Start -> Run -> type in "sfc /scannow" and press Enter.
This will verify system files like this and should replace the file in question and let it work again.

DamionIllusionist

DamionIllusionist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
ok i did as you said and the same error message comes up.......is there anything else you can think of do i need to send a hijack this log????

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Also what Damien hasn't said is that I have tried the cmd line, tried reinstall thru the xp home cd by expanding the various files from the I386 folder into the windows\system32 directory.
tried the sfc scan
I found him a free defrag program thru auslogics.com that works pretty good but I know he would like to get xp's working correctly.
I'm his father so I usually work on his system but I have been busy with my thread. Thank you all for your help for his problem.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Does dfrg.msc exist in C:\Windows\System32 folder?

If it does, try right clicking on it and select Run as...
Select the following user and choose the account that will run it... either Administrator or the current user, then see if it runs.

If it still doesn't run, undo the changes.

If you didn't run chkdsk yet, then run chkdsk /f and see if that will correct it.

DamionIllusionist

DamionIllusionist

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
ok this is Ron. Tried to right click and run as but all that happens is a cmd screen flashes and thats it
When just clicking on file to normally run it comes up with error box saying the following

"MMC cannot open the file C:\Windows|sytem32\dfgr.msc.
This may be because the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not have sufficient access rights to the file"
I am going to run chkdsk /f now and see if that works. I will reply back with results when finished. Also if it doesn't work should we try chkdsk /r
Already did the sfc thing and that didn't work.

Ron

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok ran chkdsk /f no help
running chkdsk /r on it now and will let you know

Ron

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ron,
Check the size of the Virtual Memory. You might want to let Windows manage it. You have to "set" it, then restart the computer for it to take effect.
Also, some people are un-registering and re-registering msxml3.dll... Start>run... type... regsvr32 /u msxml3.dll to un-register, then regsvr32 msxml3.dll to re-register.
Also, don't know if you tried Kellys-Korner, line 291, Restore Defag Snap-in

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok did the regsvr
it did not work
found line 291, not sure how to do that
forgot how to change virtual memory

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Virtual memory is... right click My Computer>Properties>Advanced tab>Settings (under Performance)>Advanced tab>Change (Virtual Memory)... choose Let Windows manage.... then click on "set". Restart the computer.

Kelly'sKorner... Just click on Restore Defag Snap-in and a new window will open. Right click somewhere on the page and choose "Save page as", then save the file to your desktop. The saved file will be a registry file. Just double-click on it and confirm to merge it into the registry.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
ok did the kelly reg fix
still not working. Same message as previous stated. :)

the virtual memory

Virtual memory is... right click My Computer>Properties>Advanced tab> nothing there as far as settings. No settings tab at all :)

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
This machine is running XP Pro, correct?

If so, it should have the following screens...

[attachment=28556:adv.jpg]

If the screens are not there, then there are other things wrong with the system. Perhaps a Windows repair is in order.

Please forgive the shoddy captures, I'm trying not to use too much bandwidth

Edited by makai, 17 March 2009 - 05:02 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No his system is running xp home

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Unfortunately, I don't have a XP Home machine present and I don't remember the Tabs in System Properties. I thought for sure the tabs were the same. Do you have another XP Home machine you can check?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
yes I've checked it out and found the tabs
it's in control panel>system> Properties>Advanced tab>Settings (under Performance)>Advanced tab>Change (Virtual Memory
it was set to only 248..not 2048 but 248
I clicked on let system manage and now waiting for it to finish reboot and it does not work.
By it doesn't work I mean after reboot same error message appears
Let me ask, I installed that 3rd party defrag from auslogics.com
Do you think I should try to uninstall it and see if maybe that's rewritten the registry entry to point toward it instead of the OS defrag?
Just thinking back to some of the other threads I've written.

Edited by rshaffer61, 17 March 2009 - 05:53 PM.