Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

c:\WINDOWS\system32\dfrg.msc.

• Please log in to reply

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I can't imagine the software you installed would take over the association to the dfrg.exe.

Something seems to be damaged, although I have no idea where. I think you should consider a Windows repair. Windows repair is supposedly non-destructive, but I wouldn't do it unless I backed everything up first.

Edited by makai, 17 March 2009 - 05:59 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I did several(8 to be exact) windows repair on this system before Essex found virut on this system. It will make xp virgin but keep programs and files in tack. Then just have to do all the upgrades MS will do to bring SP3 and all back in line.
If you think that will work I can discuss it with him and I'm sure that won't be a problem.

Edited by rshaffer61, 17 March 2009 - 09:11 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I really can't say if it'll work, but it might. Something is damaged or missing, and if a repair can't fix it, then then I don't know what will, short of a format/reinstallation.

If you open the MMC console (C:\Windows\System32... , is there anything there that indicates something going on. The MMC should normally be blank with no entries, unless you've entered something... at least, the console is blank on all my machines, which I'm assuming is the default. I'm not an expert on MMC, so I can only go by what I read. HERE is a link with information about MMC.

Personally, I would do the repair to see if it will fix it. It'll certainly be quicker than chasing the problem around much longer.

Edited by makai, 18 March 2009 - 02:35 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hey Makai,

I believe I found the source of the problem. When I boot his system into safe mode under administrator I can run defrag with no problem. After some investigation and rereading the error message when he tries to run it under his login I figured out he doesn't have suffecient access rights even as a computer administrator in normal mode.
Now the million dollar question. How can I change his access rights to allow him to run the program as himself in normal mode?

He is listed as a Computer Administrator but somewhere his access rights has been lowered for that program. I am going to do some web searching myself and see if I can find it. Maybe you know faster and I will wait for your reply. If I figure it out before then I will reply back to you again.
Thanks again for your help. :)

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
As I mentioned, I don't have an XP Home computer to check on anything, so I can't even remember if there is a Security tab that allows changing access rights. However as suggested in post #5, did you attempt to run defrag (Run as...) as Administrator?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes even if I try to run as in his login it will not work. If I log off and log in as "Administrator" it will work by simply clicking on it. I created another account for him and logged in on that and it works just fine. It seems just to be with his default login that it won't work. I believe his login is fubared.
If we can get him to setup everything on the new log in I created then he will have no problems. What is your thought on this course of action?

Edited by rshaffer61, 18 March 2009 - 02:04 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well, after driving home and thinking about it...
When you started in Safe mode, (before creating this new account), was there the Admin account and his login available as choices to log into. If his account is an Admin account, then it should have shown up. In any case, it shouldn't matter, I was just thinking about it.

Yes, you can copy his old account over to his new one. Although, I'm wondering if his old account being messed up will follow to the new one. Why don't you just try it and see what happens. If everything works, you can then delete the old account. Just make sure, everything goes over and when he logs onto his new account, the desktop, desktop folders, Start menu, etc, looks the same between both old and new accounts befor deleting the old account.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
He has decided to keep his old account and use the 3rd party defrag as it actually does do a better job at defragging then xp's defrag program.
We have discussed it and he knows if he ever changes his mind he can create the new account and just do the programs from the new account. I believe you can count this thread as solved and put another notch on the wall for this one.
Thank you again and if anything else comes up we will both use GTG and most definatly recommend you to everyone for help.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well, I won't count this as solved as we really didn't solve the mystery. Unfortunately, Windows is so flaky sometimes and admittantly, there are just so many things that can go wrong that can't be fixed easily. I don't really believe that its an "access violation" error where he doesn't have the correct permission level unless his account isn't really Admin. Very strange. In any case, sorry we couldn't fix the issue... its not because we didn't try! :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I checked his account under users accounts and it does show him as Admin. I'm not sure whats causing the conflict. I will keep investigating and if I find something or have a question I will post it back to you here.
No need to apologize as we are working together and I don't admit defeat easy. I refuse to let this beat me as I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation for what is happening.
Virut beat me. This won't and I believe you will not allow it to beat you either.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well, keep me posted. I'll certainly learn something if you find the solution. Thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hey Makai,

After going thru 100's of pages online I can only find the fixs and causes that we have already tried and looked at. I did for some reason look at the event log and noticed something unusual. It keeps coming up with a disk failure error. If the hd has a bad area would that not affect defrag if the location of that exe was in that bad area or the login for my son? If by creating a new login would it be located in same area of the hd?
Maybe I'm grasping at straws here but anytime I have ever seen a disk failure error message then I have always advised a client to backup and start looking at a new hd. Just a thought but maybe this could be the cause. Let me know what you think. Thanks again for keeping the thread open so we can discuss this.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
How old is the machine? HDDs last quite a while nowadays... well, actually, I can't say that, but they are decent in any case. You can download THIS utility to read the SMART data off the drive. At least it'll give a graphical display of the drive.

If the hd has a bad area would that not affect defrag if the location of that exe was in that bad area or the login for my son? If by creating a new login would it be located in same area of the hd?

I kind of doubt the bad cluster would just happen to fall right where defrag.exe would be. And, the fact that you can run it in Safe mode kind of says it's not actually the defrag.exe that's damaged. I really think a repair install will solve this. Although, that really depends on Windows recognizing the corrupt file and replacing it... it did miss it when you ran scannow. You can never tell when it comes to Windows sometimes unless you try it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The system is actually a new build. About a month old. The dvd and hd came out of a everex system that was 2 years old. I have questioned Damien at length about when this started but he cannot tell me exactly. I am beginning to believe it was something he has done. I agree that a repair install would probably fix the error. I am going to egt his key cod3e and try to do that within the next day. Keep your fingers crossed and I will keep you advised.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok! I'll be interested how it goes.