Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

XP Login trouble

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
So here's the problem I'm facing. The girlfriends computer after a spyware/virus scan lost the ability to log in to her computer. Thinking it was blazefind, went through steps to correct it. These didn't work. It appeared as if her userinit.exe had been deleted or corrupted to some effect as it could not even be copied.

She's not that savvy with computers, and her explanations of what was going on were leaving me somewhat confused. I opted for a repair install, hoping for the corrupt or missing files to be replaced and her to regain the ability to log in. During the repair installation, file initialization or something (haven't done a repair install before so not familiar with where exactly this occurred in the process) the computer requested the "difx32.dll" for the Intel graphics accelerator. She went to browse and found difx32.dll in the system32 folder, selected it. Computer did it's thing, she tried to log in, and is now getting the error "Cannot load resource DLL." It then bounces her back to the log in screen I believe. I've been trying to find a solution on google to no avail, can't even find similar cases.

I'm somewhat at a loss. She says this also occurs when she attempts to enter in safe mode. Any ideas at all as to what's causing this and what this resource DLL is? Perhaps something to do with explorer.exe loading up?

Thanks in advance.