Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Too many Windows Processes

• Please log in to reply

UncleMuck

UncleMuck

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
I know someone who is running Windows XP SP3 and has 60 processes running. I have only 37 running on mine similar setup, a clone with SP3.
It certainly seems way high to me as I have never seen a computer running happily with that many... last high number I saw was 52.

How can the processes be slimmed out....can the unnecessary processes be removed?

Can a hijack this log be evaluated to troubleshoot this?

Thnx for any help.

Edited by UncleMuck, 13 March 2009 - 09:31 PM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
It really depends on the System and how you use it. Laptops require more processes than Desktops, normally due to more dedicated drivers. My desktop currently runs 20 processes directly after startup. My latops run anywhere from 35 to 37 processes. My daughter's desktop runs only 19 after startup. And my work desktop, because its on the company network, runs 60+ processes.

To answer your question, yes a HJT log could allow someone to help you cut down your processes, but again it depends on what you actually have installed on the computer, and what you may or may not want running. Most of what you cut down, you have to decide on. Some processes have multiple processes tied to it, so if you disable one, something else may not work.

For certain, there are a number of processes and services that can surely be disabled.