Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Too many connections for PSU?

• Please log in to reply

db61

db61

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I haven't built my first PC yet. I am going to build one on the Antec 1200 case with an Antec Signature 850 PSU. At least that's my plan. I can't see how a case with 6 fans all powered with 4 pin connectors not to mention powering up the optical drives, and HDD's -- how am I going to connect all those items with the 5 molex connections available on the Antec Signature 850 PSU. Do I need a still larger PSU with many more cables or am I missing something?

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
You can daisy-chain molex connectors. That is, you can plug Fan 1's molex connector into a molex connector from the PSU. Then, you can plug Fan 2's molex connector into Fan 1's molex connector, then Fan 3's molex connector into Fan 2's molex connector, etc. Most hard drives and optical drives these days are SATA, so they don't use molex connectors. Only IDE drives will need molex connectors (with a few exceptions... early generation SATA WD Raptors had an option to use molex...).