Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive data recovery

• Please log in to reply

lmsablecinnamon

lmsablecinnamon

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I need to know how to retieve the data off of my dell inspiron 1525 (hard drive), when you can't do it normally, the way you would. I should explain, I cannot retrieve data off of the hard drive of this computer because it is dead and I cannot get it to pull up anything to try and retrieve the data off of the hard drive--- i did not back it up ,ever--- bummer huh-- it was 6 to 7 months old and the hard drive went bad , they said sometimes you can open it and take something out of it , or plug in to something some how with another working computer, to retrieve the data off of the hard drive?? and put it on another good working computer to retrieve it??- and or take it to best buy to do it--- but i do not really have the money to do that, so i was going to try and see if this is something i can do myself. :) :)

Edited by lmsablecinnamon, 14 March 2009 - 09:54 AM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi and welcome to geeks to go.

When you say the drive is dead, what errors are you getting?
Is it failing to boot? What is the problem you are having?

Depending of what the issue is, it might be able to be fixed.

To retrieve data from a drive on a computer that wont boot will depend on what is wrong with it. If it is mechanically dead, then you may not get the data except through a data recovery service which is very expensive.

There are a few ways to do this. I wont go into detail till we determin if we can fix it.
1. Slave the drive to another computer.
2. Put the drive in an external case and use USB to another computer.
3. Use a program called puppy linux. This runs entirely from the CD and will allow recovery to a USB device or CD drive.

lmsablecinnamon

lmsablecinnamon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Dell has determined it was the hard drive and they are sending out a new one , I just wanted to retrieve the data off of this old hard drive and they(dell) mentioned something to the effect that I could take it to best buy and try and see if I could get things off of the hard drive , i was remembering before-- years back - on another computer --they spoke of doing something to get the data off ; however there are alot of different factors you have mentioned here that could be wrong with the hard drive, but ( is there) only one way to retrieve the data from a hard drive and it shows this code--0146 ,---it comes up like it is going to boot ,and it shows F2 and F12 at the top right of that window when trying to bootup and does nothing else, but it just keeps trying to boot up-and going over and over trying to boot, (we) dell and I had pushed or held down (i believe) the FN key at the same time as the power button--- it finally produced the code i have told you of-- code 0146 and message error code of 2000-0146--- the dell person ended up saying that is sending out the new hard drive and the code means you need a new hard drive ---- thats all he told me , i just want to transfer and or ( get off) of the older (bad) hard drive ,what i can --because they want the old hard drive back in 14 days, I dont want anything to be on it, to give the hard drive back to them. I remember best buy from a time back, on another computer, saying they could plug this or take out that and or do something, to try and recover data, but i am not sure what that was all about---this is about my dell computer -seagate brand hard drive- hard drive is bad, and want to get info from that hard drive that it had on it, off ,-- so i am asking how this is going to be done , or can be done--- myself----, is there very many ways to do the retrieving of data from your hard drive when (they) dell--- say it is a bad hard drive ---and your dell laptop computer that the hard drive was in ---will not open up or allow you to retrieve the info from the hard drive or should i say-- (off of that hard drive)--- This was the code it gave ---on the screen from my dell computer and this was the code they used for sending out to me a new hard drive , I want to get the data off of the old hard drive---(from that bad hard drive),---- before i install and set up this new hard drive on the dell- I want to keep and have my data i had orginally on the dell ---( to have it back on my dell) , i dont want toinstall it , just to start all over like new hard drive,-- without all my documents picture, etc. loaded-----does this help at all what you are asking ? ----Not sure of any other codes---- however it did give some others, before this final code came up above--- it gave----mss-Hard drive self test log contain previous errors- fatal system error- 0xc0000005,0x00000000,0x00000000--- stop: c000021a --system has been shut down--- file\windows\syste32\winload.exe----- status 0xc000000f, ----some other codes that came up were---- stop:0x0000007B (0xF794C524 0xCC000034,0x00000000,0x00000000

Edited by lmsablecinnamon, 14 March 2009 - 05:14 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Looks like your option is to use Puppy linux.

Look at this post and info on how to use it by Happyrock. You will have to have access to another computer to burn the iso file. Happyrock's instructions are the best I have seen.

http://www.geekstogo...ing puppy linux

lmsablecinnamon

lmsablecinnamon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the info- I am very new at computers and i appreciate your help , i will see if i can even do this , thanks again! Bye now

Liz

Edited by lmsablecinnamon, 14 March 2009 - 08:01 PM.

ruggj

ruggj

• Pip
  • 1 posts
If you cant get any data off it at all, you would need to send it to the company that makes the drive, who can get all your data off the disk for you. But if you have a friend of anyone you know who works in IT, get them to have a look at the drive. If they can see that something on the circuit board on the hard drive is faulty, when you get your new hard drive all you would have to do is swap the circuit boards and it will work. Same thing happened to my old maxtor drive. Randomly died one day, but saw that there was these weird markings on the drive. Bought another drive exactly the same, swapped the boards, and it works, and still works :). When i called up Maxtor to find out how much it would cost to get the data off for me, they said $1500 - $2000. So im thinking the $80 it was to buy the extra hard drive to borrow its circuit board was definitely worth it :).

heres a link to someone else who has done this. http://www.kingsley-...ard_transpl.php

Reasons why you shouldn't do this though. Depending on how the circuit board is placed. there may be a warranty sticker above one of the screws. If so do NOT do this, as you will void your warranty.

If the circuit board isn't the problem, and you can see there's no burn marks or everything looks right on the board, it might not be the board, it could be the internal parts of the drive, which you do not want to touch, let alone even open up to look at. therefore buying a dummy drive might be a total waste of money.

lmsablecinnamon

lmsablecinnamon

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the more--- info help, here, about my - bad hard drive data retrieval attempt, the problem is i am trying to do something i have never done before and this could be tricky, I am going to try and follow all these directions I have been given because i have no money to give to Best Buy doing it hehe as I am sure we all are, running tight these days with our money -- however there may be good news for me ; my son and my daughter are pretty computer knowlegeable ;maybe i can do this --hehehehe - My daughter just change out her screen on her hp laptop and saved some money ,but not sure my daughter can help me on this one and my son is--- well , he has gone. All this sounds greek to me on how to do all this,--- but i am going to give it a good effort-- thanks again for the replys and the help given ! :)

LorretaWilliam

LorretaWilliam

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Just try and use one of the cost effective and result oriented SysTools Hard Drive Data Recovery Software which provide you best way to recover Windows hard disk data without putting hard efforts....

Lorreta William (USA)

Sophia Sidacus

Sophia Sidacus

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I try SysTools hard drive recovery software by which i able to recover my 460 GB data back.............. i really happy....thanx lots SysTools Developer...

Reference Link - http://www.troublesh...ry-for-windows/