Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Back once again

• Please log in to reply

woodworks

woodworks

• PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Hi again.

I am once again having trouble with spyware or something. I tried to login to one of my woodworking talk forums and avast kept going off and wouldn't stop. It finally would go off every time I turned on the computer. I finally had to uninstall it and I am now using avg free edition. I keep trying to do my virus, spyware, malware sweeps and I am having a problem with Antispyware free edition.

It is running just fine but when it gets to the end where it is supposed to quarantine them, it locks up on me and I have to shut down the computer the hard way. I have uninstalled it and d/l it and re-installed it but it does the same thing every time.

I don't know if this is cause by spyware, malware, or a virus, or what. The malwarebytes and avg seem to be ok, but avg keeps coming up with something every time I open up IE or when I boot up the computer.

So, if you can tell me once again what to do, I would be most grateful.

Thank you again for the help.
Jay

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Please Click here!, and follow the recommendations in the guide.

If you're still having trouble, reply here with your log.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Hope this will help you to help me.

Thanks again for the help.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Ok I started the steps that you gave me. I was on the windows update and it was trying to install windows malicious removel tool and it would keep coming up with a virus or something. The only option it gave me to click on was ignore. I finally clicked on that and after it went away it then installed the update. Before that, it wouldn't install.

Well now it won't boot up. No matter what mode I try (except recover mode) it will not boot up. So now what do you suggest?

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
UPDATE:

I have been able to boot up from the windows install CD. I had to do a partial install.

I am NOT able to run the OTL. It will start and then stop and lock up. I try to run AVG and it will run for hours (app 4 to 6) and even though it will find virus's, it doesn't seem to actually remove them.

If I shut the computer off, I then have to reinstall windows and do it all over again.

So if you can help me please advise me as to what I should do. As you can tell from the above post, I tried to do it step by step, but it doesn't seem to work.

woodworks

woodworks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
Since I was not able to get this fixed, you might as well close this topic.

Thanks anyway