Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SSID :Free Public Wifi and My connection :free public wifi

• Please log in to reply

inzonedj89

inzonedj89

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
I just saw this today and just pop up out of no where. This free public thing is messing up my signal and making my belkin usb wireless N adapter connecting to it when i want it to connect my belkin g router( so i can play online game). I google this up and it maybe a fake but not to sure.

Is there anyway to know if this is fake or not? I am at home and no where near a work place or any other bussiness area but so seeing this free wifi thing. Also my bar single is weak but free wifi is high... and I think this wifi is interfering the belkin g router.

Wifi is?
ssid:Free public wifi
My connection: Free public wifi
Signal: 4 bar
lock: Open (-) , my belkin is open also but all the other connection is lock since i connected to my own network.
WPS: dont see one like all the other connection I see
Channel: same channel as my belkin g
Type: Ad hoc?? <--- what this? and all the other connection(also my belkin) say infrastructor somthing

Edited by inzonedj89, 14 March 2009 - 02:13 PM.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey inzonedj89,

You don't want to be connecting to an ad-hoc network, nor a network that just popped out of no where -- it seems rather suspicious to me. You should remove the free network from your preferred list and ensure that you no longer connect to it.

Also my bar single is weak but free wifi is high... and I think this wifi is interfering the belkin g router.

Try logging into your router's (Belkin router, that is) web interface and change the Wireless Broadcasting channel (this option will be under either Wireless Security, or Wireless Settings). For example, if it is set to 6, change it to 11; if you don't notice an improvement, try 1.

If you do not know how to login to your router's web interface, please post the exact make and model of your router.

Thanks,
- Dan

inzonedj89

inzonedj89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thanks, but today, the wifi is gone this morning, which i don't know how it happen or when it was gone, but it is gone now, which is kinda good and my bar signal is so the same(useto be 2 bar instead it is just one but it so work the same as a 2 bar signal).

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Thanks for letting me know.

useto be 2 bar instead it is just one but it so work the same as a 2 bar signal).

Changing the channel that your router broadcasts on may improve your signal strength, if there is interference. But, if it's working fine, then you may not wish to toy with it.

- Dan