Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Buffer overrun detected

• Please log in to reply

Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Window Title Bar: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Error Message: Buffer overrun detected.
Program:\??\C:WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe

A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the program's internal stae and has been terminated.

It was working fine one day. I did an update and cruised the internet for a little while; shut down computer; turned back on a couple days later and I get the message box above. I have searched and searched only to find no answer to solve this problem. Does anyone have any suggestions? Oh and I read another post here about this same occurrence but was told to start my own new topic. Per that post, I tried to insert Windows XP CD and start computer by running through disc but all it does now is still tries to start up regularly and stalls at the blue screen where it says "Windows is starting up..." and stays there til I manually shut computer down whereas before, it would give the error message stated above then I would have to press the "OK" button as this is the only option. The computer would then shut itself down and restart only to get the same exact error message, over and over and over until I manually shut the computer down. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Tyler Durden, 14 March 2009 - 03:11 PM.

Advertisements

ladyunicorn

ladyunicorn

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have been having the same exact problem. I have gone to the I also have tried starting from the disk and nothing happens. I have gone through F8 and tried "last good configuration" again nothing happened. I bought the computer used and don't have an "automated recovery disk". I have also tried a repair boot - again nothing.

If I reinstall windows am I going to loose information on my computer???

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

If I reinstall windows am I going to loose information on my computer???

If you format your hard drive during the installation, then yes.

EDIT: If you want to get back your files, then click on "Backup Files Without Windows" in my sig and follow the instructions.

Edited by edge2022, 12 May 2009 - 04:13 PM.

ladyunicorn

ladyunicorn

• Pip
  • 2 posts
EDIT: If you want to get back your files, then click on "Backup Files Without Windows" in my sig and follow the instructions.
[/quote]

I don't want to reformat the hardrive just reinstall windows - can that be done? and sorry for the stupidity but I don't know where "in my sig" is... How do I get to that point?

Thanks

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Yes it can be done.

At the 'Welcome to Setup' screen, press Enter. The R (repair) option takes you to the Recovery Module, which is useful if Windows won't boot, but it's no help with a reinstallation. Soon you'll be told that there's already a Windows installation on the computer. Press r for a repair reinstall or Esc to begin a complete, destructive one. For a complete restore, select your C: partition and press Enter. When you get the warning that says an operating system is on that partition, press c. When you are asked your partition preference, select Leave the current file system intact (no changes). When you're told that a Windows folder (or Winnt folder for Windows 2000) already exists, press l ('ell') to delete it and create a new one. Follow the series of prompts.

Just note that some programs may not work without reinstallation and you might have to reinstall some drivers.